Deep blue...


Advertisement
Published: April 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

From our hotel in TelaFrom our hotel in TelaFrom our hotel in Tela

Berm contemplating the ocean he is about to conquer
After leaving Copan and the northwest part of Honduras, we travelled to Tela, a town on the Caribbean coast. During our three days there, we travelled to Punta Sal National Park where we saw a troop of howler monkeys and a group of foraging coatis, long-tailed tropical relatives of the North American raccoon. The beaches in the park were the beautiful white sand and palm tree combination that has inspired many a postcard. Our other day trip was cycling to the Lancetilla Botanical garden. Although the gardens were nice, biking 25 kms in 40 degree heat is not recommended! The highlight of the gardens for us was the cool, empty swimming hole on the river...just what we needed.

After leaving Tela, we made a beeline for more sand and surf on the Bay Island of Utila. Diving friends - be jealous!! Berm completed his open water certification and I did a few fun dives during the first four days we were there, and on our first fun dive together, we snorkelled with a whale shark! Whale sharks are the largest fish in the sea, so can be quite imposing to be in the water with....this was a small one at 20 feet long. Next time we have vowed to have an underwater camera, but for those wanting to see a whale shark now, check out www.wsorc.com for pictures and information.

This morning we did one last set of dives before heading for the ferry and the last great surprise that Utila had in store for us was being able to swim with a pod of bottlenose dolphins.

Tonight we are resting up before heading into the wilds of La Moskitia....we will report back in a week with an update.

Finally, check our "Finca El Cisne" blog for more photos - some nice shots of Easter sawdust mosaics in Copan.

Advertisement



20th April 2007

Lucky you
Wow - sounds like your guys are having an amazing time - I look forward to seeing the pictures when you get back - enjoy!
30th April 2007

Jealous
So jealous. Could you do me a favor and describe mosquitos and sunburn and foodbourne illnesses a little so that I don't sell everything and take off?

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb