A day on Water Cay


Advertisement
Published: March 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Keeping in theme with the Honduran way of doing things, we arrived at Deep Blue Divers at 7:00am for our 7:30 boat that left at 9:00. The original plan to dive on the north side of the island before stopping at Water Caye for a picnic lunch was somewhat altered, but it turned out to be a great day. Our first dive was a beautiful wall reef with lots of great coral formations. I was surprised by the lack of fish we saw, but the huge brain coral and aquatic plants made up for it.

The theme of the day was definitely “Mishaps with Dive Equipment”. My tank nearly fell off twice, John broke his mask, John couldn’t take pictures with his camera, I couldn’t read my gauge and thought I was running out of air…need I go on? Despite these challenges we successfully completed both scheduled dives, a real accomplishment as I usually have a first dive freak out on trips such as these.

For the second dive, the boat took us within 600 yards of Water Caye and we dove to the island and circled around it. There were more fish to see on this dive, particularly parrot fish. The highlight was the group of squids. We eventually moved closer and closer to the island and surfaced and walked on to the beach. This being my first shore dive (well, half a shore dive) I really loved finishing this way.

Water Caye is paradise. It is a small uninhabited you can visit for a small fee. We had the island pretty much to ourselves. We sat under palm trees and ate lunch. After, we walked up and down the shore observing the pelicans dipping in and out of the water, and checking the drift wood for crabs.

For the rest of the afternoon we hung out with the other divers from our boat under the palm trees, talking about the places we dove, countries we’ve traveled to, our lives back home and swapping restaurant recommendations. We swam, relaxed and took in the experience. Today was one of my best travel experiences for sure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb