In Honduras - it's beautiful!


Advertisement
Published: March 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Sorry - Having problems with photos so will post them on facebook.



OK – it’s now the 18thand we get into Honduras – or a tiny island of Honduras – tomorrow and it is to be a “chill out” day on and around the beach so hopefully we can find a decent internet café from where I can send this missive and attach a few photographs. Also send Mum a Happy Mothers Day greeting albeit a little belatedly. Note to boys – maybe read the messages you have sent me (hahahahahaha – no doubt doing the French one again – that is until the French one arrives).



On the 16th March we transited the Panama Canal. It was a really great experience and a fab day. Scott thought it started a little bit too early as I awoke at 5.45 before sun up – I heard the pilot boat arriving. My nose bothered me so I quietly (!!!) made a cup of tea, got dressed and went out onto the balcony to see what was happening. There were lights coming from all the boats lined up waiting to go in. Scott still didn’t sound too interested from behind closed eyelids so I made my way on deck and joined the cleaning staff as there was no-one else around. Must mention though that I had already phoned Chris and Elly to let them know that we were about to enter – Chris grateful - Elly not so much!!! We were on the Pacific side heading for the Miraflores locks. The canal has several sets of locks at each end. It lifts the travelling ships up about 60 feet and then progressively down again at the Caribbean end. I thought it would look like a canal all the way through but once through the locks you enter lakes and rivers which are in the middle of the jungle. Crocodiles could be seen basking at the sides – there were lots of boats who were obviously doing exploring in the jungle using the waters as well and a large presence from National Geographic. We were told that 20,000 people died in the process of its construction, mainly from malaria and yellow fever – we had had our jags and were “deeted “up to the eyeballs. It took about 7 hours in total to go through. Huge ships are pulled through the locks by track engines called mules – the width of the locks are only 60ft so it’s a tight squeeze for a lot of the vessels.



I was on deck taking photos in the semi dark and was joined by Chris and a few other passengers started to appear. Once Elly was up (before the locks) we called Toni and Joaquim to see if they wanted us to join them in their cabin (they have a cabin with a balcony right at the front of the ship – just under the bridge). We made our way there for the perfect view. They had booked a photo shoot with the ships photographer which turned into an amusing escapade as they wore their underpants, a bow ties and a Panama hats – think she thought they were mad. After we passed through the first lock we thought breakfast would be in order and being as how, by this time, I had been up for hours, I was starving. So it was a full English. We then went back to the cabin and watched the landscape from the balcony as we had an invite for drinks around 1pm from 2 chaps (another couple) who have a suite right at the front, which was to coincide with going through the last set of locks at then end of the Gatun Lake and into the Caribbean. We spent a very pleasant afternoon here taking loads of photos and having quite a few drinks. Ship passengers get really excited about anything out of the ordinary – and this certainly was. It was much more interesting than the Suez. At 4.30 we collapsed in a heap and slept for a few hours.



In the evening we had a booking to go to one of the posher restaurants on board called Sorrentos – it is advertised as fine Italien dining. There were 12 of us at the table and unfortunately the dining was not that fine! I don’t think they are used to having such high numbers at tables and sadly didn’t cope very well. But the company was good. It was a really great day.



The following day we arrived in Limon in Costa Rica – once again at the crack of sparrows. We had a tour booked to the Rainforest. The guide on our coach spoke excellent English and was very very knowledgeable – so made the 2 hour journey go by quite quickly. She told us that on the North side of Costa Rica they get 350 inches of ran per year. Another interesting fact is that the country does not have an army and is officially a neutral country and has in the recent past been awarded a Nobel Peace Prize. The main income comes from coffee, fruit, tourism and manufacturing of micro chips for Intel. Once at the rainforest we took an aerial tram ride through the forest – saw some amazing trees and ferns and stuff but not much wild life at all – this was probably because it was pouring down. After this we had a fab lunch made from everything Costa Rican (even Scott thought it was great). Later a walk in the forest but, once again, not much in the way of wild life. Saw a humming bird which was good, a few acid ants (not that interesting), a red frog which was minute and a large lizard. I would really like to come back here as it is such an interesting place and am sure there is loads to see and do – especially if you combined it with Chile. Also in Costa Rica nearly everyone can speak English as they are taught it from primary school age.



As usual there was some interesting people watching to be had as people on cruise ships can tend to be a bit mad. Some also have a lack of fundamental normal polite behaviour. They push and shove their way around and the ones that moan the most and who need the best seats due to medical reasons seem to be able to sprint to the front of any queue as if the offer of lunch or an interesting view helps their ailments to disappear as if by magic. Think we have decided that touring on shore will now be done on our own.



Right that’s us up to date again. Hopefully will get this sent tomorrow along with some photos. Hope everyone is happy and well. Xxx Oh and a note for our Scottish friends – our cabin steward is called Francy (he doesn’t resemble his namesake from Francie and Josie one little bit but it amuses Scott).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb