Utila to Cayos Cochinos


Advertisement
Published: March 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Better ferry from Utila. Better ferry from Utila. Better ferry from Utila.

Double Decker = no seasickness for me!
We had to set an alarm for 5:30 this morning. But for some reason I decided to wake up wide awake at 4:30. Whatever. Quick pack & walk to the ferry.

The ferry line was pretty long & I'm really not judging, it just seems to be fact, that when the locals are involved in a transaction with one another it takes 15 times as long as when it's with a tourist. The line sped through once this lady and her kids were done. It's weird because it's not usually that they are chit chatting or anything. I can't figure it out. But, we have learned patience is the only virtue in this part of the world because time schedules are rarely adhered to in any way. Which is really ok because we generally don't have a schedule we're following either.

Today we got a double decker ferry. Woohoo! I have been afraid of the ferry ever since our trip to Utila. But this ferry today is about 3 times bigger than the one we rode over on. Thank goodness! And the waters were super calm this morning so the ride was smooth, sweet, & painless. Not a hint of seasickness to be had.

Our cab driver was waiting for us at the La Ceiba dock & took us to Sambo Creek, about 25 minutes east of La Ceiba. There we caught a little fishing boat out to Cayos Cochinos. We tried to find a more direct route but no luck. So basically we ferried to land & back out to sea again. Kinda funny.

We are staying on Cochino Grande at Plantation Beach Resort. www.plantationbeachresort.com It is one of two dive resorts on the islands. It's a protected marine reserve & has been for 10 years which makes the diving better by keeping the reef & fish alive & well.

The resort is right on the beach in a little bay. There are only us & 4 other people staying here now plus the owner & his son. There's a tiny village on the other side of the island as well.

It is another beautiful island. Our room overlooks the bay & has a king size bed! That's a first. We arrived & relaxed & enjoyed the beach & the sun.

At lunch we met the rest of the guests since lunch is
The view from our room.The view from our room.The view from our room.

And it definitely doesn't suck.
served family style at one table in the bar/dining room. It's fun. After lunch we went diving! We dove at a little reef right off the bay called "No Name." (because nobody has named it yet & apparently aren't going to). Already we are impressed with the diving. We saw bigger fish than we ever saw in Utila & in abundance. The diving off Utila was awesome but you can tell we are in a protected marine reserve now & the fish are allowed to live out their lives until they are ready to die of old age. It was really incredible. Can't wait to dive more tomorrow!!! What was super fun about this dive is that our dive master (DM) Rio surfaced with another diver & told us to stay down & check out the reef until we were ready to come up (safely of course). By this point we were above the reef at about 25 feet & directly under the boat. It was fun. Both Geoff & I were kinda disoriented & didn't know what to do without someone to follow, but we figured it out & enjoyed the time & checked it all out. I love diving!
We have hot showers but didn't figure out how to work the hot water until after I'd completed a cold shower. Darnit.

There's Pink Boa's here! One of the guys who works in the garden caught one & showed it to us. She was not happy to be caught but she was pretty. Pink tinted. Now I watch where I walk more closely. She is apparently a juvenile because she was only 4 feet long. Apparently they get up to 6 or 7 feet long. You could just feel her muscles when she moved around. Yikes.

We enjoyed some beers at the bar & watched the beautiful sunset. Dinner was fun. There's a couple here from Spain & only speak Spanish & a mom & daughter here from Portland. We just talked & laughed & translated for one another over dinner. Dinner was delicious of course. BBQ'd steak & pork with salad, salsa, & tortillas.

This place is really really nice. We are going to be in for a reality check when we get back to our real backpacking adventure. That is for sure! But we had to dive here & we are so glad we
Pink Boa! Pink Boa! Pink Boa!

Only found on Cayos Cochinos.
are here. It's so peaceful & amazing. I love all the screened windows that you can just leave the blinds open all night for the breeze.

Time for bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

View from outside the bar. View from outside the bar.
View from outside the bar.

Where we would wait for the sunset. (After sunset = too many sand flies biting!)
Restaurant & BarRestaurant & Bar
Restaurant & Bar

Where we shared good food & good laughs.
Best dessert ever!Best dessert ever!
Best dessert ever!

An apple baked & covered with yummy spices & frosting & chocolate. To seriously die for!


Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb