Xela advice from Lago de Atitlan


Advertisement
Published: July 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I wish someone had given me this advice...but here it is for anyone doing this trip! From Lago de Atitlan to Xela
Leave San Marcos by taking a pick up-2Q, or tuk-tuk-10Q from the top road by the school. They will drop you at a road in San Pablo...wait for the first chichen bus! It costs 10 Q to get to the junction at 148kms (known as this!) Leave in the morning...i left at 7.30. The buses tend to run only in the mornings.
This is the same from San Pedro although you can catch direct buses from the church in the morning.
From here you cross the highway and wait fro another bus! Always ask the driver or conductor where it is going. People are really helpful. I waited about 30 minutes in San Pablo and 2 minutes at 148kms. The fare to Xela was another 15Q.
On arriving in Xela...(make sure your pack has a cover to protect from rain and/or dust!)
You arrive at Terminal minerva, a crazy place packed with buses and taxis. A taxi is pretty expensive so make your way through the market, keep going even when you think there is a reasonable road to the right, the market continues to the left. Follow this and it will bring you to a place where you will see the collectivo minibuses. The best place to centre yourself in Parque Centralamerica (Parque) The drivers and their ´boys´ will shout ´Parque´. It costs 1Q 50 for the 10 minute trip. They may charge you an additional 1Q 50 for your pack as it takes up a seat.
At Parque there are several banks. On the right, looking North, is the Banco industrial. At this ATM you can use your cash/debit card, at the others and all in San Pedro you can only use Visa!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb