Guatemala and Tikal


Advertisement
Published: July 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

GuatemalaGuatemalaGuatemala

View of the lake, Flores
Los Amigos is one of the best hostels I've stayed in. Located in Flores, the tourist stop for Tikal, Matthias and his friends have created a haven of tranquility, good food, great people and amazing documentaries. It is hard not to want to stay here as the restaurante serves up amazing, vegetarian wholefoods. you never go hungry here, in fact the biggest complaint is that your belly hurts because you're so full. There is even a yoga/meditation spot on the roof, overlooking the lake. a beautiful place!
after leaving Belize this place was like heaven and very easy to see Tikal from. I elected to avoid the sunrise tour offerd from the hostal, getting up at 3am. Instead I made my way to Tikal one afternoon.
The entrance ticket is 150 Quetzales, not $7 as lonely Planet has published, so be careful! Guatemala is full of these surprises as apparently much US funding has been withdrawn forcing the government to charge more! Considering this price is more than the average, it doesn't take much to wonder where the money goes!
However if you enter in the afternoon, your ticket covers you for the next day.
I wandered in just before sunset and perched myself on a ruin to watch the sun go down...beautiful! soon to be disturbed however, by an armed guard...you see these guys all over Guatemala!
Deciding not to argue with the guy and assuring him I wasnt intending to sleep on the ruins (As if..?It was really creepy, roaring, crazy monkeys and crazy guys with guns...ohh count me in!) i left. '
There were a few people staying in some very nice lodges...I, however, elected for the authentic surrounds of a tent...it did have an airbed! A couple of eateries are available for rice and beans and the like, where i met a few other budget conscious travellers. The electricity here went out but we ate by candle and firefly light. all lights go out at 9pm so the night was short. It was great to sleep in the jungle!
I arose at 4am to try and sneak into the park...past the armed guards! I crept around, hiding in the shadows so they woulnt spot me and charge me 50 Q. The park opens at 6am but if you want to go in earlier you can book a 'tour and guide'hmmm!
I managed to sneak in with a
GuatemalaGuatemalaGuatemala

Camping out in the jungle, Tikal.
tour group, mingling with the other backpacker types...the armed guards didnt count. Hilarious attempt which resulted in sweating so much that i was freezing at the top of the temple waiting for the sunrise...which never happened. the rainy season creates so much humidity and cloud.
Tikal, however is an incredible site with much of it still untouched and is being left without restoration. It sits amidst the rainforest and is absolutely beautiful. The howler and spider monkeys make you feel welcome by peeing on you if you stand still.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

GuatemalaGuatemala
Guatemala

Crazy creature, Tikal.
GuatemalaGuatemala
Guatemala

Yup! This is a ferry! One engine on the side...we got across! Flores to Semuc Champry.
GuatemalaGuatemala
Guatemala

Semuc Champey
GuatemalaGuatemala
Guatemala

Hostel El Portal. On the Rio Cahabon. Rapids and high waters but very tranquil!


Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 10; qc: 39; dbt: 0.143s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb