Lake Atilan


Advertisement
Published: August 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we sadly left Mexico after a fantastic couple of weeks. We left San Cristobal de las Casas at 7am to cross the border into Guatemala. After a very long travel day we finally arrived at Lake Atilan just in time for sunset drinks overlooking the Lake. They do the best frozen Margaritas!
We had our first experience of a chicken bus which was very cramped and hot, after 3hours we were certainly ready to get off! They tried to drive off with our bags still on the roof but we managed to shout and wave our arms enough that they threw them off just as they were pulling away, phew! The border was chaotic but not as bad as Id imagined. They tried to rip us off on just about everything but thankfully we have a Spanish speaker with us to smooth things over. Our Spanish is cetainly improving but theres a long way to go yet!

Panajachel is a small town sititng on the edge of the Lake, nestled between the volcanos, its a beautiful setting. We are going to a nature reserve tomorrow for ziplining and to swim in the Lake, fingers crossed the rain holds out!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb