Lanquin & Semuc Champey...Nature at its Best


Advertisement
Published: February 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Left Flores at 6am in the morning and took a bus to Coban.
And from there it was another tiring bus ride which took six hours to reach Lanquin.
We took the infamous chicken bus which was crowded and uncomfortable as the seats were meant for people under 4ft in height! (just kidding but it was probably 5ft...) We had to be alert at all times after hearing tales of travellers being pick pocketed and losing all their valuables in the bus.

Fortunately, the view of the beautiful mountains and forest throughout the journey made it bearable, breaking away the monotony of the long ride. and what more when the view was really nature at its best!

We stayed in El Retiro, a really well managed forest lodge that had all the modern amenities.
With environment friendly approach to the whole place, the toilets were very interesting.
It does not use any water and flushing system. There is a toilet seat and a hole that leads to a pan under the toilet. You do your business and then scoop powder over your artistic work and that is how it goes.....thankfully it was only for a few days...

El
Semuc ChampeySemuc ChampeySemuc Champey

View from the top of the hill at Semuc Champey called Mirador
Retiro was truly an escape from the concrete jungle and from the outside world.
It was peacefull, cool and relaxing.

We took a ride on a pick up to Semuc Champey one afternoon and swam in the beautiful rivers of Semuc Champey.

Evenings saw us congregate at the clubhouse to have really tasty meals provided by the lodge and loads of Cuba Libres enough to free Cuba as we often say...

Also got to smoke Hookah or Sheesha after coaxing from my Dutch sister Eline.
It was niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee..........never loved apple so much before...ha ha

I left El Retiro after three days and continued with my journey down towards Antigua making two stops along the way at Panajachel and San Pedro.

Some of the pictures in this entry were courtesy of Eline from Holland and Angela from Australia.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Lanquin - El RetiroLanquin - El Retiro
Lanquin - El Retiro

On the way to camp at El Retiro from Semuc Champey on the back of a pick up all wet and muddy.....
Lanquin - El RetiroLanquin - El Retiro
Lanquin - El Retiro

Our little hut at El Retiro forest retreat in Lanquin
Lanquin - El RetiroLanquin - El Retiro
Lanquin - El Retiro

with my dutch sister Eline...
Lanquin - El RetiroLanquin - El Retiro
Lanquin - El Retiro

My first time smoking the hookah or sheesha. Apple flavor was great. Thanks Eline!


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb