Moon Eclipse at the ruines of Tikal


Advertisement
Published: March 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another long day trip to see the moon eclipse in Tikal withouth knowing if I would be able to get inside the ruines.
The trip begun at 7 in the morning and I was around 4 in the afternoon right at time at Tikal ruines. As usual, I got lucky and was able to get one of the only two rooms left there. No hamuck, no tent, no dormitory was available. About 400 to 500 people were gathered to see the eclipse in the way an ancient Maya may have experienced before.
After meeing couple of friends that I had met in other places (one of the from Finca Tatin, who was bitten by a black scorpion in front of my eyes), we got inside the ruines just before the sun set.
Different groups were gathered together in different locations. We were first in Grand Plaza and just before the eclipse we moved to the top of the IV temple, which is the highest one built from Mayans and has a wunderful scenery.
Around mid night we went to get some sleep and woke up at 4 in the morning to see the sun rise. The noise of the birds and the voice of the monkeys gave a nice experience of the jungles awakening from the night ...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.341s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.3013s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb