Tikal


Advertisement
Published: January 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lake Peten ItzaLake Peten ItzaLake Peten Itza

the view from out the front of the hostel
We crossed the border into Guatemala without incident and were faced with our first collectivo ride to the village of El Remate on Lake Peten Itza. Collectivos are cheap alternatives to buses used by the locals, basically a mini van crammed full of at least 20 people or more where often the doors are left open for maximum capacity.
The lake was stunningly surrounded by jungle covered mountains with white horses grazing by the lake's edge giving the place a magical feel. Accomodation is dotted around the lake with the place we had decided to stay being a 2km walk with backpacks in the midday sun. The walk was well worth it though, with the hostel providing one of the nicest dormitories you would ever want to see. Attic style thatched cabanas with a large hole for a window next to the bed (complete with mosquito net) that made it feel as though you were sleeping outside. The main reason for stopping here was to see Tikal (yes, more Mayan ruins!). Tikal was once a vast Mayan city covering 17km2 and in its heyday supported around 100,000 inhabitants. We caught a bus there at 5.30am to be there at dawn, which seemed a bit extreme at the time, but being alone in the main plaza with the towering temples surrounded by mist was an unforgettable experience. Tikal is different from the other Mayan ruins we have visited in that it's structures are dispersed deep in the jungle, home to monkeys, birds and other animals (including rodents of unusual size!) Wanting to get the most out of this experience we got together with some other travellers and hired a guide.
The tour took in all the main sites, jungle flora and fauna (poking sticks into tarantula holes) and lasted for over 4 hours. It included a few hair-raising climbs up rickety wooden ladders to the tops of steep sided pyramids, the tallest being 71 meters high! Going up, although scary, wasn't too much of a problem but coming down was a different matter. Some people discovered on their descent that they suffered from vertigo - unfortunate timing. Our guide told us how he once had to rescue an entire family of 5, escorting them back down with the father in tears. Karen thinks it's important at this point that you know that this particular twmple was used as the set for the Rebel Base Camp in the original Star Wars film.
Being at the top of the astronomical pyramid of the Lost World lived up to it's name. On cue the Howler monkeys started roaring making it feel like we were on a film set, (Mark - King Kong, Karen - Jurassic Park). Tikal proved to be such a special place that Mark went back for seconds the following day whilst Karen spent the day sketching in the jungle, hanging out by the lake and getting nibbled by fish.
We spent another day doing a 3 hour hike through the jungle in an effort to see more wildlife. It rained most of the time though, and whist we did have a great view of the lake, we only saw a few monkeys and birds but did hear lots of snuffling. Luckily we didn't encounter any of the giant bugs featured in the pickled display at the entrance. Horned beetles the size of a small puppy! We could have hung around for days but unfortunately time was ticking on.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



23rd January 2006

All i can say is Sweeeet!!!......I still can't help but picture those crappy euopean circus couple in leotards - go on do it- pay your way ......and please send a photo!! Peace, Bry

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb