RIO DULCE GUATEMALA


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

RIO DULCERIO DULCERIO DULCE

AMAZING BEAUTIFUL PLACE
Rio Dulce is a river running from Lake Izabal, in the eastern part of Guatemala, to the Carribean. The river itself is exquisite, with graceful birds and tall cliffs overflowing with lush flora.

In the area, you'll also find:

* Livingston, an extremely fun and interesting Carribean town. The town is populated by the Garifuna people of African origin with a laid-back Carribean attitude, their own language (though they tend to speak Spanish and English as well), and a style of dancing known as punta that requires the hips to move faster than lightening. Livingston is where tourists generally stay in the Rio Dulce region.
* Quiriguá, a site of Mayan ruins known for its enormous stelae. While there are no temples comparable to those found in Tikal or Copán, the stelae in Quiriguá are many times larger than those found in other sites. This is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

CASTILLO SAN FELIPECASTILLO SAN FELIPE
CASTILLO SAN FELIPE

Early in the Sixteenth Century, trade was established between Guatemala and Spain via what was then called the Golfo Dulce. Constant attacks by pirates in the Gulf of Mexico and incursions into Guatemala through the Rio Dulce made it necessary to defend the entrance to Lake Izabal where warehouses had been set up for goods entering from or leaving for Spain. 1595 The Governor informed King Philip II of Spain of the attacks suffered and it was decided to build a tower equipped with twelve artillery pieces and twelve soldiers. The tower was called the Sande Tower. 1604 After the first tower was destroyed it was rebuilt by Captain Don Pedro de Bustamante, from whom it took its name, the Bustamante Tower. It was around this time that the port at Santo Tomas de Castilla was founded.
RIO DULCE NATIVE BIRDS AND BEAUTYRIO DULCE NATIVE BIRDS AND BEAUTY
RIO DULCE NATIVE BIRDS AND BEAUTY

VOLTURE TAKING A LITTLE BREAK AFTER A BIG MEAL


7th June 2008

Oh my god that is so beautiful! My gypsy blood is starting to quicken, ha ha.
7th June 2008

Daya wanted me to remind you about the time at Larsen's when u used her bunny blanket. "I want Giorgio."she said. She really likes the picture of the girl paddling.
21st June 2008

glad to see you
hey bro finally! let me know if we can communicate this way
23rd June 2008

Woo HOO!
Write more in your blogs! We just got your maya ruin postcard! Thanks! Looks like you're having a blast. Soooo envious...one of these days...need more pics and more blogging!

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb