Livingston


Advertisement
Published: April 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Saturday night in Placencia we decided we needed to head back to work so we got up early on Sunday and headed down to Punta Gorda to get a lancha (bacically a small boat that holds about 20 people at the most and sits about 30cm above the water) back to Livingston in Guatemala. It may as well have been bucketing down because every wave we went through sprayed over the entire boat, every row of seats was given a big sheet of plastic to hide behind but I decided to put on my rain coat and sunglasses and at least catch a bit of the view. It was like one of those rides at the fair ground where you pay to get wet, except no where near as much fun and almost 2 hours long, not too bad though.

When we arrived in Livingston again we were approached by a black rastaman who offered to help us find a hotel, with about 20 others standing waiting to harrass us we decided to accept. He recommended a nice cheap hotel with a balcony on the roof complete with hammocks to enjoy the view of the Caribbean. We checked in and headed out for dinner and a few drinks. I seen a lot of similarities here with Belize, the main one being the amount of Gaifunas, the other was the amount of rastas and reggae. The main difference here however was that all the Garifunas spoke spanish as their first language, so it was more of a Latin Caribbean vibe, I still loved it!

All in all there wasn´t much happening here, nice town, a lot of poverty and beggers, but still lovin that caribbean feel. I´d definitly come back but maybe this time for a Saturday night. Next stop, Rio Dulce... home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb