Antigua and Volcanos


Advertisement
Published: January 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ever climb an active volcano? Leona said “that’s got to be the craziest thing I have ever done!!” We spent four nights in Antigua. The city is approximately 45 minutes from Guatemala City and use to be the Capital City. It has cobblestone streets and sits in the shadow of two volcanoes of which Agua Volcano is always visible from anywhere in the city. It has several beautiful churches from the 15th century of which La Merced is absolutely gorgeous.

So why did Leona say that about hiking Volcano Pacaya? The hike starts innocently enough at approximately 5000ft with kids selling walking sticks for 5 Q (60cents). You soon realize that this will be like walking up a 250 story building to within 200 meters of 2500 meter peak where 40 mph winds, and blowing volcanic dust and freezing temperatures await you. The majority of the trip is through forests and has several beautiful vistas of the country side and Guatemala City. However, the last portion is a real kick ass trying to walk in foot thick volcanic rock and sand where you slide back on every step as you fight the blowing sand in your face and freezing temperatures. At the top, the volcanic rocks are bigger and footing is treacherous as you balance yourself and the wind attempts to blow you over. Also, in parts the soles of your shoes feel like they are melting from the cooling lava. From above, you can see the lava coming out of the cone and ever so often a stone a couple of feet in diameter comes rolling down stopping 20 from you. There is a strong smell of sulfur and your mouth feels like you just had your teeth polished by the dental hygienist but you haven’t had a chance to rinse yet.

So was it worth it? You do get a feeling of “I conquered the Paccaya!” There is the awesome feeling of standing feet away from lava and seeing it come down at dark. The awesome views on the way there and on top were breathtaking.

There was some pain but a lot of gain, so I guess the answer from us is“YES”.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Where there is smoke there is PaccayaWhere there is smoke there is Paccaya
Where there is smoke there is Paccaya

See the people on the right?


15th January 2010

Hola desde Fairfield
¡Qué aventura! Han tomado algunas fotos incríbles, gracias por mandarlas. No estoy segura de que pueda subir un volcán pero parece que valió la pena, por lo menos para la vista de noche. ¿A donde van ahora? ¿Cómo es la comida? Todos al club están bien, y les echamos de menos. Un abrazo, Roxane

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb