Pana to Antigua


Advertisement
Published: August 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

15/08/08 We were rudely awoken on our second day in Guatemala by the sound of fireworks every 15minutes from sunrise,followed by cockrels and dogs barking constantly, just what you need with a hangover! There is always a fiesta in one of the villages so we are getting used to the constant bangs of firecrackers! We spent our second day ziplining across the valleys at the nature reserve which was very cool! We attempted to swim in the Lake but when we got to the private beach recommended we quickly changed our mind as we forgot the Guatemalans education on rubbish disposal is severly limited and the lake was filthy with litter floating everywhere, we made a hasty retreat!

Yesterday we moved onto Antigua, a beautiful colonial town, we had a private transfer, luxury! We stopped at the markets on the way and I bought my obligatory pair of earings, building up rather a collection. Our 5am start today meant a quiet night and we decided to go for Asian food as there are only so many tortillas you can eat! This morning we got picked up by quite possibly the worst bus ever for our trip to climb the volcano. The last group to do it dodged lava so I was alittle concerned over the safety but once we survived the bus journey I realised climbing up an active volcano was a breeze! When we got on the bus it was already broken down at the side of the road, good start! They then got out plastic chairs and spare tyres for people to sit on, interesting concept! Anyway it was worth it as the volcano was amazing and we got to climb pretty high and see the lava beneath the rocks, after my strenuous excercise I am a little ashamed to say we have all just been to McDonalds! We do have a big Friday night planned in Antigua though so need to prepare well. We are going to try out the bars tonight before we move on again tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb