the graduation at distrito italia


Advertisement
Published: April 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The repetetive pictures may be boring to you. ive posted all of these more for my own photo storage purposes than to show you me smiling with each an every kid.

After 10 weeks of classes at the distrito, we had to say see you later. which was incredibly sad. but we made a celebration out of it. a proper graduation, with diplomas and all.

jose's car broke down the day of graduation, so we arrived 2 and a half hours late. and we rounded into the alleyway and saw that the kids had decorated the place with streamers and balloons and more than one of them seemed to have put on thier sunday best. we were 2 and a half hours late and no one even peeped a complaint or whine. they'd been waiting here, baking in the sun and getting hungry, and no one batted an eyelash. I am constantly humbled at how people can roll with it here, roll with changes in plans and unexpected delays and setbacks. not even a drop of that "i paid my money for this... ive lost the past two hours of my life waiting for you..." bla bla bla that you hear all the time in america del norte.

Boris was the MC. he kept us all in line, and kept the program running. first, some words from the maestras. i tried not to cry, and succeeded. then, the first diplomas. LOUD applause and PHOTOS, of course, after each name. very professional. a very big deal. then, artistic act #1, which was 5 of the youngest kids doing some kind of hilarious choreographed song and dance. then, more diplomas, and hugs and photos. then artistic act #2, another rendition of "if your'e happy and you know it" (have you ever stopped to think about what an incredible song that is?). and then, yes, then snacks. broken galletas and pan dulce passed around on plates. no one takes more than thier share. but it all gets scarfed down, for sure.

goodbyes. i successfully hold back the tears until i give Evelyn a see you later hug. i completely lost it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 82, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb