El Salvador


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After staying one month in Puerto Escondido, i got the feeling it's time to hit the road again! i met Argentina-Chile guys who were heading to Costa Rica and on the next day I was sitting with them on the bus to Guatemala.



El Salvador's name still evokes images of the brutal civil war fought throughout the 1980s. A 12-year civil war, which cost about 75,000 lives, was brought to a close in 1992 when the government and leftist rebels signed a treaty that provided for military and political reforms. The government made a series of economic reforms in USA model of free market. In 2001 El Salvador adopted the U.S. dollar as its official currency, replacing the previous currency called the Colon (Spanish for 'Columbus', as in Christopher Columbus).
The war, however, is over and El Salvador today is a beautiful land of volcanoes with a population of approximately 6.9 million people. It is bordered to the west by Guatemala, to the north and east by Honduras, and to the south by the Pacific Ocean. El Salvador is the most densely populated nation on the American mainland (especially in its capital, San Salvador) and also the most
breakfastbreakfastbreakfast

Scrambled eggs, fried beans, fried bananas, cream, bread ...
industrialized country in the region. The country was named after the Spanish word for "The Savior" and its territory was known prehispanically as Cuscatlán.

It's such a nice place... just stay in your room and hide in the night!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

licuadoslicuados
licuados

great for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a treat for a broken heart... fresh fruit with water or milk mixed with ice into a superb drink!
SalvadoransSalvadorans
Salvadorans

El Salvador's population numbers about 6.7 million people. Around 90% are mestizo (mixed Amerindian and Spanish/European), some 9% white, and only 1% indigenous. El Salvador is the only Central American country that has no native black population, probably because of its lack of Caribbean coasts, unlike its neighbours.
La libertadLa libertad
La libertad

Also known as "El Puerto de la Libertad, was founded by the British colonist Sir Francisc Drake while on route to northern California. Today, El Puerto is a tourist site for many surfers. As the world known point break "La Punta" attracts pro level surfers in search of a perfect right break.
El TuncoEl Tunco
El Tunco

El Tunco is a short 5-minute drive from La Libertad; just steps away from two world-class surf breaks (La Bocana and Sunzal).
El TuncoEl Tunco
El Tunco

This is the way life is... hammock up in the heights, but behind a fence, for every one's safety.
El TuncoEl Tunco
El Tunco

But locals live in a house like that!


7th May 2006

Isn't this girl enjoying her life to the full?
Dear Kaja, Aren't you an adventurer by heart? I can see you're enjoying your time abroad! Hope it lasts long enough to provide you the nicest memories so you can bring back a bit of all this diverse cultures with you! Any plans to go to Brazil any soon? Take care, Alex
19th September 2007

wow....i love my country thanks.....loveeeeeeee

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 23; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb