La Habana 30 years later


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Oeste » La Habana
September 7th 2010
Published: September 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

First memories of Cuba originate with the ousting of Battista. Where I lived there was one TV station ...the CBC of old!

Sketchy photos and jubilant comments definitely not including speculations of Mafia control and gamboling money and buxom girating cabaret dancers were heard. Fidel Castro became my hero ... including Mao and Jomo Kenjatta.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

During the the Bay of Pigs incident I was in my last year of High School. The loss of the U.S.S.R. as a source of fuel, food fertilizer and manufactured goods in 1989 could have spelled disaster The lack of news about Cuba on American TV continues . Presently the idea that Americans of Cuban ancestry are dreaming and planning to enter Cuba at the demise of Fidel makes me want to stand at Havana Airport with arms at the ready. Fidel remains and Cuba continues to follow, somewhat, original aspirations.

Ninety- nine percent literacy, self sufficiency since 1989, and stalwart resistance to the star spangled giant are not to be scoffed at. Constuction of resorts and developemt of tourist attractions is bringing many visitors so that the economy revives.

David Suzuki aired a special
Visiting CubaVisiting CubaVisiting Cuba

from Amazon.com Cuba Art Posters Print for sale
on the Nature of Things ... "Cuba: The Accidental Revolution are two one-hour documentaries celebrating the country’s success in providing for itself in the face of a massive economic crisis, and how it’s latest revolutions, an agricultural revolution and a revolution in science and medicine are having repercussions around the world." The info is impressive.

The first time I went to Cuba it was as a group. One had to choose an area to visit ... Havana or a resort ... and then the restriction was to remain in that area for the duration of the stay. I chose the city and stayed at Hotel National.The first rule I learned was that city residents were not allowed to visit guests in rooms.I managed to be late for every arranged 'tour'. Breakfast was missed but the 'free' wander in the capital was worth it. Lunch was often a half chicken; this while grocery stores were almost bare.

I met people who took me to their apartment to meet the family, invited me to a holiday cottage, showed me the inside of a hospital, walked me through the university and made me feel part of the group at a beach
BatistaBatistaBatista

From History of Cuba on the internet
party.

The holiday cottage was reached by walking along Playa Santa Maria del Mar; went by taxi with the address on a piece of paper. The couple staying in the cottage was enjoying their annual time allotment holiday. For lunch we ate canned filled peppers in tomato sauce from Hungary and instant mashed potatoes from P.E.I. Canada. Imagine my amazements too eat McCaines potatoes in Cuba. Apparently the ship came to Cuba bearing potato products and returned to Canada with lobsters in the hold.

The getting it on with a fantastic specimen of male Cubanism on his way to the 76 Olympics was successfully thwarted by the every-on-guard girlfriend. A medical student became attentive and a tryst at an establishment constructed solely for the purpose was arranged. A small wooden wall made of slats stood before the door. Once inside the longer than wide building even numbers of doors were arranged on each side of the hallway. Once stipulating the length of time the room was to be in use, money changed hands, bottles of beer were requested and the room was reached.

The bathroom barely worked. The double bed was covered with one sheet. Two pillows
Fidel Speaks 1966Fidel Speaks 1966Fidel Speaks 1966

Image from cubaposterart.com
rested at the headboard. No towels. No soap. No bedbugs that could be observed. The biggest trick beyond coitus was to avoid catching sight of the uncovered mattress and the pillow without its covering. Being a public place used by consenting adults for afternoon trysts, illicit affairs and perhaps even paid for encounters, the furniture has been exposed to heavy traffic. Let your imagination run to its fullest extent to visualize the decrepitness of mattress and pillow. The beer was good. The encounter forgettable. The memory ever fresh!

Have envisioned the Olympian more often than the doctor; looked for the man at the Montreal Olympics but did not find him.

Did partake of the 'tour' bus to the school in the country. It was only a half day outing and as I addressed the class in English, prepared any questions the tour guide beckoned ... could not engage in too much discussion.

Much of the trip is forgotten .... no recollection whatsoever of the flight. Can see the hotel room. Remember Hemingway's Bar and the Marguarita. Walked the Malecon and experienced the streets of the old city.

All the images from this past trip are in
Street Scene, Havana 1970Street Scene, Havana 1970Street Scene, Havana 1970

from cuba poster art.com
the form of slides. The slides are SOMEWHERE!!!

With great anticipation a trip is in the offing. Cuba! Fidel! Havana! I'm coming ... but just for one week.

Internet access is reportedly scarce and expensive. Am bringing my netbook ... primarily for downloading images and writing travel blog drafts.





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

MaleconMalecon
Malecon

from Google Images


7th September 2010

Hey Barb
I just love the Cuban people

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb