My Cuban Christmas/ mon Noel Cubain


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Oeste » La Habana
January 10th 2009
Published: January 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Happy New Year to one and all! Sorry to all those of you who sent me texts on new year's day, I ran out of credit so I couldn't answer!
So I left you as I was leaving the Dominican Republic... I took a bus to go to Haiti, as my flight to Cuba was from Port-au-Prince (way cheaper than flying from Santo Domingo!): it was meant to be very straight forward, as I'd got on a bus that was going to take me from point A (Santo Domingo) to point B (Port-au-Prince) without me needing to lift a finger... Well, think again! We got to the border at around 4pm, and it started to all get very complicated: I didn't even have my passport, as there was a woman with us on the bus who had taken all of them and was meant to do all the formalities for us. Only when we got there, she only did a few passports, then we headed back to the last town we'd gone through... Everyone was very confused by that point, and we were given very little information, but we managed to work out that there was some sort of strike on the Haitian side of the border, and they wouldn't allow our bus to go through. They found us a hotel, some of us had to sleep on the floor, others on chairs, but I got lucky and got a room (which I had to share with an Argentinian soldier). The next day, we went back to the border, I finally got my passport back (I'd asked for it many times, to no avail!) and that's when we were told... we had to get off the bus! They still wouldn't let the bus through, so we had to fend for ourselves from there, which I was a little annoyed about given that I'd paid for a ticket all the way to Port-au-Prince, and that the information we'd had from Passport Woman had been pretty much non-existent... So I crossed the border by foot, and found myself a 4X4 waiting for passengers to go to the Haitian capital. I got on... and waited for 2 hours! People kept on getting on and then getting off again, to what I understood (they all spoke Creole, and believe me when I say even though it's meant to come from the French, it's not easy to get!) they were arguing about the price... We finally left and I made it just on time to the airport, where I caught my flight to Panama... There I missed my connecting flight (I kinda got carried away in the shops!), took the next one and arrived in La Habana at 11pm, feeling shattered from my border adventures and in need of a shower given that we hadn't had access to our bags the previous night... But most of all, I was happy to be in Cuuuuuuba again!

I've already talked an awful lot about Castro's country, so I'll be very succint this time, as I didn't do any travelling anyway: the family had rented me a little flat close to their house (a third of the price of a casa particular, but admittedly there was no hot water, flushing the toilet meant emptying a bucket of water in it... all fun and games!) and I spent most of my time with them, just hanging around and learning more about the Cuban way of life. Trying to understand them as well... seriously, if I didn't know they spoke Spanish, I'd assume it's a different language altogether: I can understand a lot now and make myself understood without any problems in all countries, but Cuba is a different story! They cut most of their words, speak very fast, have a funky accent... Needless to say I struggle when they're speaking together!
Christmas in Cuba is a very simple affair: they haven't got money to buy presents, so the 24th is just a meal (rice and beans as usual, and to make it more of a feast, salad and pork) followed by mass (which I avoided, I suddenly felt very very tired indeed!). On the 25th, it's pretty much the same again, but there was also a special event: the daughter of the father of the family who's not the daughter of the mother and who technically is not blood related with the son of the family given that the father is not his father (are you following me?!) had had a little girl the last time I was here, and she was getting baptised... with me as the godmother! I tried every excuse under the sun to not be her godmother as I felt a little weird about it, but I didn't want to offend them either... So I ended up in church with my little Maria Carla, her mum, her uncle and Paolo (still not his real name, but because of my last blog, I don't want to use it), who is the godfather... Thankfully it was quite a short ceremony, and I kind of got away with pretending to be saying the prayers in Spanish! After that we had a little party to celebrate the baptism, and what started with 4 people soon turned out to be 15... I'm still wondering where they all appeared from! They weren't there, and all of a sudden they were is how I understood it!

One day, I was invited to a religious celebration (the main religion of Cuba is something which name I forgot again, it's a mix of catholicism and voodoo as I see it!): a woman sat with us, and she basically started being visited by spirits who wanted to talk to us... Needless to say, I was highly sceptical: hard to believe in spirits when you don't believe there's a God out there... But 2 hours later, I didn't know what to make of it, and I still don't: she told me things that could have been guessed, like what my favourite breakfast is, or how I used to chew my nails as a kid, but she also talked about me losing my Dad, which she didn't know about, and towards the end of the ceremony, she looked at me and said 'Marie, Marie, Maria', who's that?! I was stunned: nobody knew my Mum's name, and she just came out with it... So, do I believe in God? Let's not go too fast... But is there something out there?!? I've really been wondering ever since...
The next day, they had another ceremony which involved killing a lot of poor innocent animals (which we then ate, that was the nice part of it!): I was very brave and decided to look at it for a while, but after seeing a pigeon having its head torn off and a chicken having its throat cut open, then bled to death over the things they use as an hommage to their saint, I have to say I felt a little squimish!

I went to the hairdresser's more in 2 weeks than I have in the last 8 months (given that I didn't go at all, I suppose it's not to hard! And at something like 1 pound a go, I could afford to go twice!), and played at being a girl when I had nail extensions put in with the mother of the family (turned out, I'm not made for them, I broke 2 in a week, and I ended up getting rid of them, the only problem being that my own nails are now ruined... So tough being a girl, I'm telling you!)
I met A LOT of people, all friends or relatives, and had a really great time. I obviously learnt more about living in Cuba, and the more I learn, the less I understand... They really do have mad laws and are made to do things that to us would be unthinkable, all in the name of communism... A different planet, I swear! I do admire the way they always find a solution to all their problems though, and how resourceful they are; basically, because everything is governement owned and they feel cheated (quite rightly!) by said government, everyone pinches stuff from work, so you can find just about anything for sale on the black market, from meat to glasses or bikes... Their shops are a nightmare (think quieing for ages, ending up in a tiny little shop where you're still quieing to get to see whatever it is you want to buy, which is far from you behind a counter) and because the clothes sold are very (and I mean VERY) ugly, most Cubans buy clothes in special semi-clandestine houses: people who have friends or relatives abroad have them bring clothes to Cuba, which they then sell on, and make an absolute fortune. The son of the family summed it up very well: if you learn to live in Cuba, you can live in the desert... I'm very willing to believe that indeed!

New Year's was partly friends partly a family affair, I had a very nice night indeed, and I stayed up way later that I had in a very long time on the 31st, chatting away and drinking the occasional beer... I also went to a nightclub with Paolo and his friends on one occasion, and given that I really wasn't in the mood for dancing, I decided that drinking was the way to go... At $2 for my favourite of vodka and orange, I think it is fair to say that I felt pretty bad the next day... so I was extremely pleased to be woken up at 10.30 by those that I came to call 'my alarm clock', the fumigators: there had been a case of Dengue in the neighborhood, so fumigating went from being fornightly to daily... and I meant every single day... It's not very pleasant to be woken up by loud knocks on the door, being told you got to get out and wait in the street for at least 30mins before you can get back to your house!
I wanted to have a different Chritmas, and I must say that I got just that... I still don't feel like I had a 'proper' Christmas, but I also have to say that I'm really happy I was far away from the whole Christmas buying madness... No presents, but happiness and kindness, isn't that what Christmas is meant to be about?!

-------------------------------------------------

Bonne annee a tous!! Desolee pour ceux qui m'ont envoye des textes le 1er, je n'avais plus de credit sur mon telephone, alors je n'ai pas pu repondre!
Donc je vous ai laisses quand je quittais la Republique Dominicaine... J'ai pris un bus pour Haiti, vu que mon vol pour Cuba partait de Port-au-Prince (bien moins cher que de partir de Saint Domingue): c'etait cense etre tres facile, puisque j'avais pris un bus qui devait m'emmener du point A (Saint Domingue) au point B (Port-au-Prince) sans que j'aie besoin de lever le petit doigt... Ouais, presque! On est arrives a la frontiere a 16h, et c'est la que le schmilbique (qui ne s'ecrit pas comem ca...) s'est complique: je na'vais meme pas mon passeport, vu qu'il y avait une nana dans le bus qui les avais tous et qui devait s'occuper de faire les formalites pour nous. Seulement quand on est arrives, elle n'a fait qu'une aprtie des passeports, puis on est retournes a la derniere ville qu'on avait traversee... Tout le monde etait tres confus, et la fille ne nous a donne que tres peu d'information, mais on a fini par comprendre qu'il y avait une greve du cote Haitien, et qu'ils ne voulaient pas laisser passer le bus. Ils nous ont trouve un hotel, avec couchage au sol, sur chaises... j'ai eu de la chance, j'ai eu une chambre, meme si j'ai du la partager avec un militaire Argentin. Le lendemain, nous sommes retournes a la frontiere, j'ai finalement recupere mon passeport (je la'vais demande au moins 15 fois, sans resultat...), et c'est la qu'on nous a dit... qu'il fallait descendre du bus! Ils ne voulaient toujours pas laisser passer le bus alors on devait se debrouiller tous seuls, ce qui m'a un peu foutu la haine etant donne que j'avais paye mon billet jusqu'a Port-au-Prince, et surtout, le manque de communication de la part de Miss Passeport m'a vraiment gonflee... J'ai donc traverse la frontiere a pied comme une grande, et j'ai trouve un 4X4 attendant des passagers pour aller a la capitale Haitienne. Je suis montee... et ai attendu plusde 2h! Des gens montaient, puis redescendaient, a ce que j'ai compris (ils parlent Creole, et vous pouvez dire ce que vous voulez, mais quand on ecoute, ca ressemble pas du tout au francais! J'ai galere!), ils s'engueulaient a propos du prix... On a fini par partir et je suis arrivee juste a l'heure a l'aeroport, ou j'ai pris mon avion pour Panama... La j'ai loupe la connexion (je me suis laissee emporter par mon shopping!), et ai pris le vol d'apres, donc j'ai fini par arriver a Cuba a 23h, KO et ayant grand besoin d'une douche vu qu'on avait pas eu acces a nos sacs la veille... Mais avant tout, j'etais contente d'etre de retour a Cuuuuuuuubaaaaaa!!!!

J'ai deja beaucoup parle de la patrie de Castro, alors je vais faire court cette fois, vu que de toute facon je n'ai pas voyage: la famille m'avait trouve un petit appart a louer pret de leur maison (le tiers du prix d'une casa particular, mais OK, il n'y avait pas d'eau chaude et tirer la chasse voulait dire vider un seau d'eau dans les toilettes... ca fait partie du charme cubain!) et j'ai passe la plupart de mon temps avec eux, juste a trainer et en apprendre plus sur la facon de vivre cubaine. Et essayer de les comprendre aussi... Je vous assure, si je ne savais pas qu'ils parlent Espagnol, jamais je ne le devinerais: je comprends beaucoup de choses et me fais comprendre sans trop de problemes dans tous les pays, mais a Cuba, c'est autre chose! Ils coupent tous leurs mots, parlent super vite, ont leur propre argot, et un accent bizarre pour couronner le tout... Pas besoin de dire que je galere quand ils parlent entre eux!
Noel a Cuba est tres simple: ils n'ont pas d'argent pour s'acheter des cadeaux, alors le 24 est juste un repas (riz et haricots rouges comme d'hab, et parce que c'est la fete, porc et salade en prime... C'etait le pauvre porc avec lequel j'avais sympathise la derniere fois...) suivi de la messe de minuit (a laquelle j'ai reussi a echapper, je me suis soudainement sentie treeeeeees fatiguee!). Le 25, c'est rebelotte, mais il y avait aussi un evenement special: le fille du pere de la famille qui n'est pas la fille de la mere et qui techniquement n'a pas de lien de sang avec le fils de la famille vu que le pere n'est pas son pere a lui (vous me suivez?!) avait accouche d'une petite fille lors de ma derniere visite, et le 25 etait le jour de son bapteme... et je suis sa marraine! J'ai essaye toutes les excuses possibles et imaginables pour ne pas etre marraine vu que ca me faisait sentir un peu bizarre, mais je ne voulais pas non plus les offenser... Donc j'ai fini a l'eglise avec la petite Maria Carla, sa maman, son oncle et Paolo (toujours pas son vrai nom, mais je ne veux pas l'utiliser a cause de mon dernier blog sur Cuba), qui est le parrain... Grace a Dieu (c'est le cas de le dire...). la ceremonie a ete assez courte, et j'ai reussi a faire semblant de reciter toutes les prieres en espagnol! Apres ca on a fait une petite fete pour celebrer, et ce qui a commence avec 4 personnes a fini avec 15 ou 20, j'ai rien compris, ils etaient pas la et d'un seul coup ils etaient la!

Un jour, j'ai ete invitee a une celebration religieuse (la religion principale de Cuba est un truc dont j'ai encore oublie le nom, un mix de catholicisme et vaudou a ce que j'ai vu!): une femme s'est assise avec nous, et en gros, elle a commence a etre visitee par des esprits qui voulaient nous parler... Inutile de preciser que j'etais plus que sceptique: dur de croire aux esprits quand on ne croit meme pas en Dieu... Mais 2h plus tard, je ne savais plus que penser, et ne le sais toujours pas: elle m'a dit des choses qui auraient pu etre devinees, de mon petit dej favori au fait que je me rongeais les ongles en etant petite, mais elle m'a aussi parle du deces de papa (ce qu'elle ne savait pas), et vers la fin de la ceremonie, elle m'a dit 'Marie, Marie, Maria, qui est-ce?' J'etais epatee: je n'avais dit le nom de Moman a personne, et elle me l'a sorti comme ca, et en francais en plus... Alors, est-ce que je crois en Dieu? On va peut etre pas pousser... Mais est-ce qu'il y a quelque chose?!?! Je me pose la question depuis ce jour la...
Le lendemain, ils ont fait une autre ceremonie qui en gros etait un sacrifice d'animaux (qu'on a ensuite manges, c'etait le cote sympa de l'affaire!): j'ai fait ma courageuse et ai assite au debut de la ceremonie, mais je dois admettre que j'ai jete l'eponge apres avoir vu un pigeon se faire litteralement decapiter, et un poulet se faire ouvrir la gorge, puis vider de son sang sur tous les trucs pour leurs saints...

Je suis allee ches le coiffeur plus de fois en 2 semaines que je ne l'ai fait durant les 8 derniers mois (pas si dur que ca, etant donne que je n'y suis jamais allee! Et a 1 euro la coiffure, je pouvais bien y aller 2 fois histoire d'etre presentable pour les fetes!), et j'ai fait semblant d'etre une fille quand je me suis fait mettre des faux ongles avec la mere de la famille (c'est bien ce que je pensais, c'est pas fait pour moi, je m'en suis cassee 2 en une semaine, et je m'en suis debarassee, mais mes vrais ongles sont maintenant bousilles... trop dure la vie de fille, je vous le dis!)
J'ai rencontre BEAUCOUP de personnes, amis et famille, et me suis eclatee. J'ai bien evidemment appris encore plus de choses sur le pays et le regime, et plus j'apprends, moins je comprends... mais plus je les admire pour leur debrouillardise. En gros, puisque tout appartient au gouvernement, et qu'ils pensent que ledit gouvernement les berne (et a juste titre...), ils piquent tous des trucs au boulot pour ensuite les revendre, alors on peut tout trouver au marche noir, de la viande aux lunettes en passant par un velo.... Leurs magasins sont un cauchemar (imaginez faire la queue pendant 10 000 ans, pour ensuite entrer dans un tout petit magasin, puis faire a nouveau la queue pour demander a voir l'article que vous voulez acheter qui se trouve derriere un comptoir) et vu que les habits dans les magasins sont tres (et je veux vraiment dire TRES) moches, la plupart des Cubains achetent leurs fringues dans des maisons mi-clandestines: ceux qui ont des amis ou de la famille a l'etranger leur font amener des habits qu'ils vendent de leurs maisons (qui sont de veritables magasins, j'ai hallucine!), et se font beaucoup de sous... Peolo a tres bien resume la situation: si tu peux apprendre a vivre a Cuba, tu pourras vivre dans le desert... Je le crois en effet!

Le 31 a ete une fete mi-famille, mi-copains, je me suis bien amusee, et je suis restee eveillee bien plus tard que je ne l'avais fait depuis longtemps pour le 31, a discuter et boire quelques bieres... Je suis aussi allee en boite avec Paolo et ses copains un soir, et vu que je n'etais pas vraiment d'humeur a danser (oui, ils essaient toujours de m'apprendre, le Cubain est tetu!), j'ai decide que boire etait la voie a suivre... A 1.5 euros mon favori, vodka orange, il est juste de dire que je n'etais pas fraiche le lendemain... alors j'ai ete super contente d'etre reveillee par ceux que j'appelais mes 'reveille matin', les gars qui passaient pour fumiger les maisons (les fumigateurs?!): il y avait eu un cas de dengue dans le quartier, alors la fumigation est passee de 2 fois par mois a tous les jours... et je veux dire tous les jours... C'est trop sympa d'etre reveillee par quelqu'un qui frappe a la porte comme s'il avait l'intention de l'exploser, puis vous dit de sortir et d'attendre une demie-heure dans la rue avant que vous puissiez rentrer chez vous!
Je voulais des fetes differentes, et je dois dire que j'ai ete servie... Je n'ai pas vraiment l'impression d'avoir eu un 'vrai' Noel cette annee, mais j'ai vraiment apprecie d'etre loin de la commercialisation... Pas de cadeaux, mais de la joie de vivre, c'est pas cense etre ca Noel?!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb