Cuba!


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Oeste » La Habana
July 13th 2007
Published: July 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Cuba after a short flight in a 'Fokker 100', which Trev assured me was perfectly safe, despite clearly being older than the two of us put together! As we arrived in the terminal, there was a tropical storm, so the taxi ride from the airport to the city was interesting. The roads turned to rivers, it was chaos, but fun at the same time. We were fascinated by all the old american cars, and the number of ladas driving around.

We found a hotel to stay in on the internet at the airport, and arrived to a part of town that looked like the back streets of Soho, after WW2. We didn't even have a guidebook to tell us that this was normal, and that most of havana was falling down, so were a little worried about what we had let ourselves in for.
We wandered along the sea wall, and the next morning took a walk to Revolution square. Just walking around the city was fascinating, seeing the old spectacular buildings and funny cars. We went fishing off the sea wall in havan too. I say we, it was of course trevor's idea. I make an excellent fishermans assistant so I am told.

We moved house to a 'casa paticular'. This is like a B and b back home, where a Cuban person rents out a room in there home to make a bit of extra cash. Our host was an English professor, so spoke english well and was able to give us good advice about where to go.
We took a bus ride to see some Spanish forts built in the 1500s, which was an experience never to be forgotten. It was amazing to see how many people can fit on a bus- the tube at rush hour is by no means a comparison. There were people literally hanging off the doors and windows whilst the bus was moving, listing to one side with the weight. Fortunately we made it safely to our destination, and never took another bus again! Our feet did the work the rest of the time.
We went to the Havana Rum Museum, and had a day by the sea spotting fish. One day there was a torrential storm, wich was the closest we have been to witnessing a hurricaine. Winds of over 100k per hr, lashing rain, and massive trees down and bits of buildings. This caused a power cut, so when we arrived home we sat in the dark for a while. Apparently a common thing in Cuba.

We saw so much of the city in 4 days that we decided to leave a little earlier than planned, and were keen to get to our next destination of a paradise island off the coast of belize, so off we went on the Fokker again.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb