San Pedro and Caye Caulker


Advertisement
Published: July 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Trevor DysonTrevor DysonTrevor Dyson

In the Carribean, a long way from Harrogate
Hello from a tropical Carribean Island

Jealous? you should be, The Belizian Cayes are everything you imagine and more, Turquiose seas, white sandy palm fringed beaches and an atmosphere so laid back you have to check for a pulse.

We got here with a mad dash across three countries (Cuba, Mexico and Belize) in just two days (and in my case one set of clothes), but as the boat docked on San Pedro (aka Ambergris caye) we knew it was worth it. We spent two days here relaxing, swimming and snorkelling with a few beers in the evening and generally doing as little as possible. The walk from one end of town to the other must have taken all of 20 minutes (though we never did it all in one go) most people used golf carts to get around, there were very few on the Island.

We only left here because we were due to meet Jo's Cousin Richard and his new wife on the next Island, Caye Caulker. It was OK though as this Island turned out to be even more chilled, with better snorkelling and reef trips and was even more relaxed. I stopped wearing any footwear as soon as we reached here as they don't have any roads or pavements, only sandy strips. We went out on a trip to shark ray alley from here, its named after your swimming partners, though on the day we were there we saw only rays, no sharks, I was a bit disappointed but I think Jo was secretly relieved.

It didn't get any more energetic than that and we considered the day when we used the internet and did laundry to be a bit to much effort for one day.

As you can imagine we found it hard to leave (and in fact stayed a couple more days than we had planned) but we have now moved on, We spent our first night back on the mainland in Belize City, which was grubby and dissapointing, but we have now moved on to San Ignacio which is pretty and friendly, I went swimming in the river here this afternoon but couldn't see any Pirannahs. We will stay here a couple of days to do some Jungle Trips.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



22nd July 2007

Caye caulker
Trev, it sounds like you really didnt want to meet up with us! but I remember the fun times dancing in the rubbish Karaoke bar drunk of fun and lots of rum. Keep enjoying!
23rd July 2007

caye caulker
sorry, didn't mean it to sound like that, you got a much better write up in my actual travel journal! Rum and karaoke is always a great combination, Trev

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb