Habana


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Oeste » La Habana
June 25th 2007
Published: June 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

last stop Cuba

a bit vague in the pacific area

HabanaHabanaHabana

they love their murals in Havana. not sure who the guy nearest me is/was. at least one of the others should be known to everyone!

last stop Cuba
Paul Michael James Drea
Well my flight with Cubana got cancelled but i didnt find out til clo had already checked in for her earlier Mexicana flight, god knows what i would have done if i had turned up the normal 2 hours before departure. Since the flight cubana had put me on was hers leaving 3 hours earlier. anyway it was kinda a stroke of luck and meant we both got to havana at the same time.

Strange place, it has the cars, some great buildings, pretty decent people.not a lot in the way of shops,obviously.


it had some really run down bits and some very very skinny cats and dogs. the sight of one black cat in particular and a kitten that seemed to be abandoned will haunt me forever.
any one going to havana take some dry cat/dog food and take it out with you. we robbed ham from breakfast everyday to feed whatever we saw.Clo was ready to take the kitten to varadero with us and hide it in our room!

the food is very average but the atmosphere pretty good and great people watching.
they seem to be well on with renovating the old quarter
IconicIconicIconic

probably what most people associate Cuba with, old amercian cars,oh and Che! probably the reason so many Americans want to come here, shame they can't !
where the tourists go and there are a couple of pretty posh restaurants and the excellent cafe where we watched a Latin couple dance.
you have to accept that people are going to try to sell you stuff, a photo etc. get lots of peso coins and stuff and tip! I didnt mind tipping here routinely as opposed to America,(the richest country on earth)

Really glad we started here.most people only do one night. wish we had done the old car ride but money here is stressful ! everywhere else i used Atms. her you get stung 11% commission so take sterling and change it as you need it. you can't bring their money home!






Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Habana Colourful CharacterHabana Colourful Character
Habana Colourful Character

basically they ask you for a peso to have your picture taken with them.don't think he could smoke that cigar, wouldnt be able to replace it.
Barcadi Bar  - Cuba Libre time!Barcadi Bar  - Cuba Libre time!
Barcadi Bar - Cuba Libre time!

The Barcadi building, pay about 50p and they take you up to the roof where you get fantastic views of Havana. pity the Barcadi family had to leave! now the home of Havana rum and others. yes the daiquari in the fore ground is mine! if you wondered how Clo got her cheek bones it's lots of cocktails!
Museum of the RevolutionMuseum of the Revolution
Museum of the Revolution

i think clo is indicating that she thinks the tank,(actually a self propelled gun) is a bit small, then again..
Habana Wallace and Gromitt !Habana Wallace and Gromitt !
Habana Wallace and Gromitt !

the old part of the city has some great old building, cars and pretty cool people watching! oh and murals !
Museum of the RevolutionMuseum of the Revolution
Museum of the Revolution

it was well hot in Havana, had a sit in this square and got talking to a security fella who wanted a peso for soap, everyone is after a peso !
San Cristobel  - Cathedral squareSan Cristobel  - Cathedral square
San Cristobel - Cathedral square

at el Patio, trying to choose a cocktail, wearing my shirt from hollywood. Doh!
Habana  Arty Shot !Habana  Arty Shot !
Habana Arty Shot !

like this, there is quite a bit of art knocking about the old section , Habana Veija.
Habana big Rain!Habana big Rain!
Habana big Rain!

the first night we got there it really chucked it down. the hotal Valencia had a central courtyard which made for high entertainment wacthing the down pour
El Patio  - Habana Watching The MusicEl Patio  - Habana Watching The Music
El Patio - Habana Watching The Music

self potrait.pretty much everywhere you went had a band, pretty cool. the cathedral square was pretty nice at night
Tabana La MurellaTabana La Murella
Tabana La Murella

on the corner of the Plaza de Veija, brews its own beer, very nice !
Habana Capitol BuildingHabana Capitol Building
Habana Capitol Building

didnt go in but had our pics taken on an old box brownie in a black and white stylie. one peso.
The MaleconThe Malecon
The Malecon

locals swimming and fishing and the like.
 View From Barcadi building View From Barcadi building
View From Barcadi building

you kinda get a guy telling you whats what in pigeon english. excellent views though.don't forget to tip him a peso!
La Tabana la Muralla?La Tabana la Muralla?
La Tabana la Muralla?

not 100% sure where this was taken, like it though, atmospheric.
Hotel ValenciaHotel Valencia
Hotel Valencia

this is where we stayed,very nice and in a great position. wouldnt bother with the paella again though.
Moijtos - Down by the HarbourMoijtos - Down by the Harbour
Moijtos - Down by the Harbour

this was a nice evening, much cooler down by the sea, feeding the strays, drinking with the locals about 70p for a cocktail
Cuban musicCuban music
Cuban music

at Tabana la Muralla. pretty good. meant to bring a CD back but didn't. doh!
More colourful charactersMore colourful characters
More colourful characters

if i went back i would get a stack of peso coins to give people. only had one coin to give all three of these. think they need to spread out!
Coffee barCoffee bar
Coffee bar

can't remember the name of his place but it did fantastic coffee and at the weekend had couples demonstrating latin dancing which was fantastic


Tot: 0.402s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 22; qc: 42; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb