Wow, Everyone Celebrates SuperBowl Sunday Here!


Advertisement
Published: February 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Church Says No!The Church Says No!The Church Says No!

They´re serious
I Journeyed last week from Guatemala to Costa Rica where I met Sandy in San Jose. We took the bus into San Carlos where we will begin volunteer work. It is incredibly so wonderful to be back and there´s more to say on that in future journal entries but todayy I need to write about the insanity that is taking place at this very moment...Election Day.

Time for a new president here in Costa Rica, and here it is through the eyes of a gringa:

I didn´t believe it when they told me, but it was true. It was REALLY true. Do you know that alcohol is forbidden during elections in Costa Rica? Not in bars, not in stores, completely banned for 5 days, this rule compliments of the Church. Come on now, what are they going to do? I was shocked going to my favorite Supermercado. Well holy sugar, big plastic tarps over ALL of the alcohol, the wine bottles ziptied to the shelves, and posted warnings on every refridgerator door. Nope, you´re not getting it, but boy are you going to need it. Election Day Sunday, otherwise known as SuperBowl Sunday to those back home, is like New Year´s Day on 2nd Street in South Philly...after the parade. Just switch out the Italians for Latinos, add a massive amount of non-stop 24 hour a day horn-honking, oh yes, and take away the alcohol.

Arias is close to being the winner. Again you can hit Google of CNN.com to find out any relevant facts, We´ve did our research here as well. But what has been most interesting is why the ice cream lady is for Arias, why Jose was completely against him, and how Ste-funny only wanted to go horseback riding so we would be nowhere near the polls, which are a block away from our apartment.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb