10/27/2008


Advertisement
Published: October 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

October 27, 2008

Hi all
Today is a sea day. Very sunny today but the seas are rolling a bit, but nothing like the white cap day we had on the way to Cartagena.
Today is very relaxing. Went to a shopping seminar (as if I needed help to shop) for Acapulco and Cabo San Lucas.
This afternoon is a slot tournament. Later is our cocktail party with the captain.
The food in the dining rooms has been wonderful. Walt refers to the buffet dining as “Home Town Buffet” nothing great but ok.
Friday we made it through the canal a little later than planned. It was a very interesting day. The lock
System was fascinating. In the early afternoon, our room steward brought canapés and champagne to the cabin to celebrate Jan’s birthday. At dinner, in the dining room, everyone sang Happy Birthday to Jan.
Saturday was a sea day as we traveled to Costa Rica. We played Bingo, still not winners but did get within 1 number of the big payout. Jan had a hot rock massage and is planning a return visit because it was so great. I am scheduled for the 30th.
Sunday, in Costa Rica, was our day for coffee. The weather was very overcast, but warm. We had showers late in the day, while on our tour bus, so we did not get soaked. Our tour traveled about 2 hours inland up about 3500 ft to a coffee plantation. We had a very informative tour about how coffee is grown and processed. Costa Rica has 4 distinct regions that grow different types of coffee. We then went to the roasting plant for the ins and outs of coffee roasting. They served a really nice typical Costa Rican luncheon. Of course there was coffee shopping and we bought our fair share, plus…
There are 1000’s of coffee farms that work as a cooperative. Back in the 1850’s when Costa Rica gained it’s independence from Spain, the government gave land to anyone who wanted to grow coffee
and help the new economy grow. Today 51% of all Arabica beans grown are exported.
The shipboard entertainment has been great. We had a comedian who made everyone nearly p their pants. The singers and dancers are very energetic and fun. We had another juggler/comedian, who balanced an 8ft ladder on his chin! Mark, you better start practicing so YOU can perform at the big family birthday party!!!!!!!
We still think Celebrity cruise line is the best…


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb