San Jose (Written by Amanda)


Advertisement
Published: June 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Amanda and Her HostsAmanda and Her HostsAmanda and Her Hosts

Amanda (author of this blog entry) is shown here with her host family.
On June 11, after a hard day of Spanish class, we took a tour of the capital of Costa Rica, San José. After our lunch at a “soda” we made our way downtown. Our first stop was the National Theater. Once inside, we saw a painting that once was on the 500 colones bill. This painting depicts the culture here in Costa Rica. Also, the government no longer uses the 500 colones bill. Once we sat down in the theater, I tried to picture the beautiful place filled with people and outside surrounded by coffee bean fields. Gold leaflets brought out small but amazing details. (Fun Fact: Costa Rica is famous for gold found in the southern part and jade found in the northern part of the country.) From there we went into another room where the floors are over 100 years old. In this room there are 3 paintings depicting dawn, afternoon, and dusk.
From the theater we visited the National Museum of Costa Rica. The museum used to be a fort before the army was abolished. (Fun Fact #2: How many pyramids does Costa Rica have? -- NONE.) The country is famous for these huge rocks that are in
LunchLunchLunch

The group had lunch in San Jose at a popular soda (small restaurant) sometimes frequented by famous Costa Ricans.
a perfect circle. No one can explain these huge rocks, but there are thousands of them, small-to-big. While in the museum we learned about Costa Rica’s first people and how they became today’s population, made up of the indigenous people, the Spaniards, the Chinese, and the tourists who have settled here. Last, we saw how Costa Rica went from this country no one knew much about to a blooming country that still has great things to offer to the world.



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Food at the "Soda"Food at the "Soda"
Food at the "Soda"

An example of a plate of food at the "soda" in San Jose. (Photo by Amy)
National TheaterNational Theater
National Theater

Jessica snapped this shot of the outside of the National Theater.
MuseMuse
Muse

Amy takes a picture of a statue that once stood on top of the Teatro Nacional.
What She GotWhat She Got
What She Got

This is the result. (Photo by Amy)
Lots to SeeLots to See
Lots to See

Everyone snaps photos inside the entrance of the Teatro Nacional.
TheaterTheater
Theater

Michelle got this shot of some of the boxes of the theater.
Theater BoxesTheater Boxes
Theater Boxes

Another shot of the boxes in the theater. (Photo by Amy)
StageStage
Stage

This is the main stage in the theater. (Photo by Michelle)
Looking UpLooking Up
Looking Up

Abby, Chad and Jill lean back to see a chandelier and artwork on the ceiling.
Art and GoldArt and Gold
Art and Gold

The foyer of the Teatro Nacional is loaded with gold and art.
Lots of DetailsLots of Details
Lots of Details

Johnny explains the significance of many of the pieces.
Foyer CeilingFoyer Ceiling
Foyer Ceiling

Michelle got this good shot of the ceiling in the foyer of the National Theater.
CrestCrest
Crest

Each of the seven provinces of Costa Rica is represented by its crest on the ceiling.
In the FoyerIn the Foyer
In the Foyer

Amy got this great shot in the foyer of the theater.
Main StaircaseMain Staircase
Main Staircase

Amy got a good picture of the main staircase and its decoration.
Main StaircaseMain Staircase
Main Staircase

The group learns about a famous paiting in the main staircase of the Teatro Nacional.
Costa Rican IconCosta Rican Icon
Costa Rican Icon

This painting is the most well known work of art in Costa Rica and appeared on the 500 colones bill.
OrnateOrnate
Ornate

The painting and some of the other decoration in the National Theater. (Photo by Michelle)
500 colones bill500 colones bill
500 colones bill

Here is the bill with the painting. It is now sold as a souvenir. (Photo by Michelle)


Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0178s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb