To Hell and back!


Advertisement
Published: November 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our first day on Grand Cayman:



Our trip began when we left home at 10:30 PM on Nov. 21. We had to connect through Charlotte, NC. So, we got to Charlotte at 6 AM and left for Grand Cayman at 9:45 AM. After some very long flights, we finally arrived here around 1 PM. All the traveling was worth it, though. It is beautiful here!

We rented a tiny little car for our week on the island. They drive on the opposite side of the road here, so Bryan had fun learning to drive on the left. (We did spend a considerable amount of time driving with our wipers on, instead of the turn signal! 😊 However, he is now a pro.

We drove to our hotel, the Sunshine Suites, excited to be able to freshen up a bit after all our traveling. After we felt human again, we ate lunch at the hotel restaurant, the Sunshine Grill. It won the "Best Burger on the Island" award, so we had to try one. Bryan and I split a Kingston burger (with cheese and jerk seasoned mayo). It was quite delicious! We also had to start our vacation off right, so we split a rum drink called a Painkiller. Yummy!

After taking some pictures around the hotel, we headed out to our first tourist destination....Hell! There is an actual spot on the island called Hell. It got its name from the crazy limestone rock formations there. They even have a post office to mail postcards.

Other than the rock formations and a gift shop, there was not much else to do. So, we got back in the car and headed to the beach in time for the sunset. Even though it was a public beach, we were surprised to see that it was not too crowded. We just sat and relaxed, enjoying the sand, surf, and sunset!

For dinner, we went to a restaurant/bar called Legendz, that was within walking distance of our hotel. I had the coconut shrimp with a mango sauce (mmm...) and Bryan had a Thai chicken wrap. We also split another rum drink 😊 called a Chocolate Banana Monkey. So good! Bryan was also happy because he got to watch the Bears game as we ate. (in fact, most of the TV channels here are from the States)

After dinner, we went back to our room. We were both exhausted since we did not sleep well on the plane, so we went to bed early. What a great first day in paradise!




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb