Heading West


Advertisement
Published: April 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Caribean SunriseCaribean SunriseCaribean Sunrise

sunRISE, not set!
Right, so we have better computers, so HOPEFULLY some pictures will accompany this little entry, but dont blame me if i have spoken too soon.

At the moment, we're in a river valley town called San Ignacio, up in the hills, and had hoped the weather would be less stifling, but oh no, its probably worse becuase being in a bowl, the breeze isnt as stiff as you'd like, so i have had about 4 showers today, and will be having at least 2 more by sleep time!

We left Placencia on another little plane, much fun, was a clearer day so could see much more below and in the distance, pretty tropical. We had to go to a place called Dangriga to cath a bus, and just missed one, so had to wait for an hour+ in some pretty scary little bus station, dusty, hot, some dood 'from da hood' trying to sell things he'd obviously just robbed from someone...probably a tourist :o)

The bus journey from there to Belmopan, the capital, was just awesome. This is despite the well averted panic attack at the start. Some guy told us to get us out of the queue,
ViewViewView

View from Yoli's, best bar i've not been able to drink in yet!
or scrum, and we legged it round to the back of the bus, shoved our luggage on, and hauled our sweaty selves inside, and thank god we did; the sign said capacity 84, but not a chance, i'd say nearly 110, standing on people, yikes peeps would havbe been on the roof if this was india. Bless that guy, he got us pretty much the last two seats.

As they filtered away (stopping at every corner on every road as we went!), we headed through the hills and the Mayan Mountains, and this was nothing like the journey from hell in mexico... bright sunshine, clear views, clouds making green fresian cows out of the hill tops as they passed low over them like Zeppelins. And the greenery, i thought UK forests were as green as you can get, but the shear lushness and clear light made it what i hoped a central american journey would be. Awesome.

The guy the driver nearly killed on the motorbike didnt think so though, but as a bus and a car both fitted throught the same space before, methinks the biker was little away with the fairies. Next, the bus driver slammed
Drink of the BelizeansDrink of the BelizeansDrink of the Belizeans

Picture says it all. Nick probably said "thanks my man" in response to the dude that sold it to him...
on his breaks as the windscreen got smashed some how, and he just accelerated away, taping the cracks up as he went...thankfully, we werent doing any hairpin bends at the time! He was VERY keen.

So, San Ignacio in the Cayo District, nice place, apart from the 3 hrs sleep i had last night thanks to the Yankie neighbours playing soft rock to cover there nocturnal activities, follwed by about 3 hours of the most incesant dog howling and barking your likely to hear... the main aim of today was to go and hunt the f*ckers down and put the boot in, but instead, we went a booked a tour to some caves and waterfalls with this guy David, half mayan, half Jamaican; a thin Marley, and then got a double Kayak of him and paddled down the Macal river for a few hours.

Once we got away from town, the shear quietness was eery, only broken by the lapping of the kayak and the odd smack-down between birds in the treetops, but it was proper boys own adventure stuff, towering limestone walls, massive trees banking either side, clambering up the slopes and creating dark moody overhangs with
Our PalmOur PalmOur Palm

Better than an umbrella for shade.....
chunky roots. And this was only a little river, nothing like ones we should get too later on.

This was topped off with a sweaty hour or so around the first Mayan site, Chacel Pech, fairly small, but still pretty impressive stuff, considering we were in mud huts losing against Vikings when it started to decline, let alone when they built the things. Slavery does wanders for building projects i guess.

The best day so far.

In a few days, off over the border into Gautemala, most likely to be hotter and sweatier, but i'm getting a sweet tan (though Tracey is beating me, but only just, the Cad).

think thats all to report.

See you all x


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The SidewalkThe Sidewalk
The Sidewalk

The narrowest street in the world, according to Guiness.
Pink toenailsPink toenails
Pink toenails

As i was relaxing taking a few pics and catching some sun...Nick was rowing like Steve Redgrave in the Olympics ...and he had a blister to prove it.
Me on the Macal RiverMe on the Macal River
Me on the Macal River

Only pose i can really do, taken after rowing her ladyship...


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb