You better Belize it


Advertisement
Published: December 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Crossing to Belize wasn't much of a hassle and it took some getting used to hearing English again. After a night in Belize city we hit Ambergris Caye for our first taste of Carribean waters. The night we got in was the De la Hoya fight so we hit the local sports bar. These people were not too happy when their boy Oscar didn't show up. The next day we took a snorkeling trip to a couple spots in the reef. 50+ feet of visability & 80 degree water mixed with sea turtles, sharks, rays, millions of fish, and eels really made the day. We had an awesome guide who was really good at pointing things out, louring eels out of their caves and showing us how to wrestle with nurse sharks. We set out for another day of snorkeling taking us to other spots that were equally spectaculat with loads of coral and more wildlife.

Andrew found out that he has a cousin on Caye Caulker so we headed his way. Brad and Jess with their son Geti and chihuahua moved to Belize a year ago and are starting a Yoga Retreat business. They have a cool island house complete with hammocks. They gave us the VIP your of the island which didn't take too long. We went spear fishing the next morning in "the split," which is where the island is divided in two. It was a great time but those fish are pretty good a swimming. I mortally wounded one but it quickly become sharkbait when it wiggled off the spear. Brad caught a nice snapper which was quickly grilled up by the locals. Caye Caulker is really chill and I definitely recommend it. The reef is beautiful, people are nice, and the food is pretty good.

We left the Cayes and headed for the Guatemalan border stopping a bit short at a place recommended by Andrew´s cousin called the Trek Stop. Awesome place in the middle of the Jungle. We were fortunate enough to experience a little down pour, luckily we heard the thunder and saw the lightning and were able to get our tarp up. Great "eco-friendly" spot and really nice people. We woke up in the morning and excitedly were able to play the supposedly only disc golf course in Central America. It was raining a bit but the jungle proved to be a great place for a course and it was laid out nicely. Good times.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0188s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb