Spanish Wells


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Fishing FleetFishing FleetFishing Fleet

Spanish Wells, known for their excellent fishing fleet.
After leaving the Exumas we spent just a couple days in Nassau before heading out again to Spanish Wells. We were so excited to go back to this amazing island off the northern tip of Eluthera, where we had many good friends and wonderful memories from our previous visit. Our anticipation grew as we sailed past Royal Island and Meek’s Patch and the town of Spanish Wells came into view. Of course the first thing we spotted were all the fishing boats, which the local fishermen use to get crawfish. Then all the colorful houses and manicured lawns came into view on this small island, only ½ mile by 2 miles. As we pulled into the marina we were greeted on the dock by some of our friends who live on the island. We couldn’t believe we were here, it almost felt like we never had left. What an incredible place! If you want to read more about it, check out the blog from June 2006. It truly is a unique island here in the Bahamas.

We had a wonderful visit; going to the beach at Meek’s Patch a couple of times, eating many delicious dinners together with our friends,
Fishing BoatsFishing BoatsFishing Boats

Some of fishing boats in Spanish Wells, lined up on the sea wall.
and driving our buggy in circles around the island. We were there during the election and we got to learn a little bit about their government and politics, which is very interesting. And we got pretty good at throwing darts as well. But most of all we enjoyed just hanging out on an island where we felt more like visitors than tourists, and soon we started to feel like we knew everyone in this tight-knit community. We stayed for just about two weeks and our time there went by fast. Once again we were sad to go but promised to return again.





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The BeachThe Beach
The Beach

The beautiful beach in Spanish Wells, on a stormy day.
The BridgeThe Bridge
The Bridge

Spanish Wells, photo taken from the bridge that connects Russel Island. Part of the cirlce.
Looking Accross the IslandLooking Accross the Island
Looking Accross the Island

Spanish Wells is really a small island, 1/2 mile by 2 miles. This is a picture looking from one side to the other- think it gives good perspective.
MuralMural
Mural

An underwater world painted on the side of the fish market.
CrawfishCrawfish
Crawfish

What a great painting of a crawfish- that's exactly how they look coming out of their hole- arrrrgghh!
Nassau GrouperNassau Grouper
Nassau Grouper

Don't you just want to reach out and grab those big lips.


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb