Happy Hour (s)


Advertisement
Published: March 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

seascapeseascapeseascape

view from road
After the fun of the schools multicultural fair, we expected to settle back into our quiet enjoyable existence here on the mooring.
Friday evening (March 12) saw all the boaters gather together for *happy hour *, which could have been more properly called a pot-luck. It was a nice evening and a great opportunity to share conversation, terrific food and of course the usual libations. There were enough nibbles, no-one needed to return to their boats and cook dinner. This is my kind of Happy Hour indeed. We were pleased to realize one of the fellows knew our boat and it's previous owner as well as another Colvin designed vessel and owner that we also are friends with. Very pleasurable indeed to meet up with these people and catch each other up on news about mutual friends, when far away from home. The world may be a small place, the sailing community is even smaller and we keep running into people we have met along the way.
I am constantly amazed at how many of the boats we see are from Canada, including an unusual vessel called the Pelee Flyer. Most boats we see are sailboats , trawlers and
Pelee FlyerPelee FlyerPelee Flyer

Pelee Flyer entering the harbour
or power cats. There are not too many retired fast ferries making the trip. As it turns out this boat is headed to Trinidad
with it's 'new' owner, paid captain, one paid crew member and a friend. Her compliment also joined in the fun at the little park just up from the pier. I hope they had as a good a time as the rest of us did.
Sunday evening features live music at 'Da Spot, which we elected to enjoy. Many others had the same idea it seems, so we were treated to a lively evening with residents and cruisers alike. Standing room only was the order of the night. Da Spot has a few rhythm instruments available which were put to good use by it's patrons. This nicely filled out the sounds from the band. The bartender seemed happier than usual as well. I suspect he had managed a good nights sleep for a change. He is a hard-working fellow, that begins his day at 7 am at his day job, then opens his bar at 4 pm till whenever. No wonder he often looks a bit tired.
On a separate issue or note.... wine has
happy hourhappy hourhappy hour

part of the crowd at happy hour
been difficult to procure. At least wine that is not sweet. I found a place two towns to the south that sells decent, drinkable wine from Chile at a good price. This is a real find trust me at $5.55 a bottle and a drinkable red wine...well I am a happy woman. They also carry a boxed wine I have used before, but I am reluctant to purchase it, since cardboard is known to harbour cock-roach eggs. I am leaving it in the store and will settle for a bottle now and again, carrying in a back pack while hitch-hiking limits my amounts...most likely a good thing.
Take care everyone more as able.

Advertisement



23rd March 2010

boxed wine
Try just storing the bladder and leaving the box behind this what I have been forced to do.

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb