Staniel Cay


Advertisement
Bahamas' flag
Central America Caribbean » Bahamas » Exuma
March 25th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Staniel CayStaniel CayStaniel Cay

We love it here, especially the friendly locals and colorful houses.
Every so often in our travels thru the Bahamas we find an island that is just lovely; a place where there is a tight-knit community that welcomes you like long-lost friends, where days are filled with fun and adventure, and the cay itself is just so beautiful and the houses so colorful. And that is how we feel about it here at Staniel Cay. We love it here and are even considering building a house here one day. We actually love all the islands in the Bahamas, they are so unique and diverse, but it is rare to find a place like this. It has captured our heart like no other island.

Our favorite aspect of Staniel Cay are the people here, who really are so friendly and happy. After a week we feel like we have met most of the locals in this small community. The majority of the people here on the island work at the Staniel Cay Yacht Club. And it is not surprising to find that the same woman who runs the straw market also cooks the Friday night bbq dinner at Thunderball, or that the dock-hand at the marina also runs the Isle General store.
ViewViewView

The view out from the Staniel Cay Yacht Club- beautiful.
So everywhere we go we are greeted as the Rum Runners. A highlight of our stay here was the night we went to the fundraiser dinner for the local school. They were raising money for the kids to have a field trip to Cat Island. So we went to the bbq on the beach where we enjoyed making friends and watching the children run around. It was great fun.

Most days we have been hanging out at the bar here at the SCYC, the hub of town. There is always something going on and we love the people we have met there, mainly other cruisers. And we can’t believe it but we have run into many people we know from Charleston as well as other friends we have met along the way. The boating community is actually quite a small world and it has been fun talking to everyone; seeing where they are going and where they have been, swapping stories and fish tales, as well as enjoying a cocktail or two while watching a beautiful sunset. It is such a different life than on land, you never know who you are going to meet- a movie star, a
SCYCSCYCSCYC

The Staniel Cay Yacht Club, the hub of town.
nuclear physicist, Katrina survivors, CEOs of big corporation, the head of unicef, multi-millionaires, to small town folk. We are all out here cruising the islands, becoming friends, and supporting each other in this remote lifestyle.

Unfortunately the weather has been windy lately, blowing 20-25 knots with occasional squalls, so we haven’t been able to go out and fish and lobster. But a local fishing boat brought their catch of about 40-50 lobsters to the dock one day so we were able to buy a couple of fresh lobsters for dinner- yum. And it was great to watch the resident sharks and stingrays at the marina feed on the scraps as they cleaned all the lobsters. Many of them were circling around in the water, it was quite a show. Actually there are numerous nurse and lemon sharks as well as stingrays that hang out here under the boats, we always seem to have something lurking under the Rum Runner. And in the crystal clear water you get quite a good view, both of us are hesitant to jump in the water here.

One day when the winds died down for about18 hours, we grabbed our snorkel gear,
BarBarBar

Jay at the bar at Staniel Cay Yacht Club, where we spent many afternoons talking to other cruisers.
hopped in the dinghy, and went to Thunderball Cave. Thunderball Cave is actually a grotto, composed of many large boulders and a cave which you can snorkel thru at low tide. Once you enter the cave there are hundreds of fish, from schoolmasters to yellowtail snappers to grunts, that encircle you as you swim by. We actually brought some crackers to feed them and there were literally so many fish around us that they tickle. And it was beautiful inside the cave, with stalagmites and stalactites and rays of sunshine beaming down thru the cracks in the cavern wall above. It was awesome, one of the best snorkel experiences we have ever had.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

LobstersLobsters
Lobsters

The fresh caught lobsters that we bought at the dock, yum!
Sharks and StingraysSharks and Stingrays
Sharks and Stingrays

All the sharks and stingrays circling about, waiting for scraps. What a sight!
SharksSharks
Sharks

A couple of sharks, lurking below the Rum Runner.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Sunset from Club Thunderball, looking down at the grotto. If you look close enough you can see all the way thru the cave (look at the island on the left hand side). Very cool!


26th March 2007

Oh My!
How lovely! Watching gently falling snow, I can't help wishing to be there with you. Each picture on the blog is more beautiful than the last. What a treat to experience this awesome paradise through you. Love you bunches!!!!!!! Mom
26th March 2007

fun at the yacht clubs
Hi, Those cocktails in a yacht club always taste great.Keep having fun, Margie-down under

Tot: 0.301s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 158; dbt: 0.1945s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb