28th Annual Cruising Regatta


Advertisement
Published: March 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Adventures on the high seas, pirates, long ocean passages, and long sandy beaches. Well…. we certainly have had our share of beaches, but if you’re hoping to hear of these other exciting things, sorry but we’ve been having too much fun for that.

We have spent the whole winter in the Bahamas, and most of that time in the Exumas. We might have set a record having been fortunate enough to have 6 groups of company come to visit this year. Since our last blog, my sisters (Lynne and Marianne) visited, our granddaughter Ella and her parents Dawn and Paul, and our last company Mike and Jane Bondy just left yesterday. In addition to seeing our family and friends, they have been very generous in bringing us some of the supplies that are hard to get here. The one thing I asked for that no one brought me was a quarter chicken from Swiss Challet, and that will be our first meal when we get home. (If I get to choose)

We had not seen our granddaughter Ella since November, and could not believe the changes in her. She gets more beautiful by the day, and it makes us
Doug's Sisters VisitDoug's Sisters VisitDoug's Sisters Visit

Lynne, Doug and Maryanne. Is that a hug?
very excited to get home and get to spend more time with her. Paul was a star at spear fishing, Dawn got back into playing regulation volleyball, and almost won a Texas Holdum tournament, and Ella spent a lot of time charming her grandparents. It was nice to spend time with my sisters, and Bondy’s had the best weather we’ve seen all winter.

The big event has been the annual cruising regatta. It’s been going on for 28 years! Boats start arriving here for the regatta in early January, and by regatta there were approximately 300 boats anchored in George Town to enjoy all the events. While it’s called a cruising regatta, it’s more like a big carnival. In addition to the regatta, the Exumas sponsors the Bahaman Music and Heritage Festival at the same time. The music festival features popular Bahamian singers and bands, plus a festival to show their crafts and culture. Together they combine for a very full couple of weeks. This year we took part in the sailboat racing, volleyball tournament, beach golf, craft show, and tomorrow I’m playing in a band at the variety show. There were many events we did not participate in
EllaEllaElla

Ella with Dawn and Paul.
such as sand sculpture, poker, trivial pursuit, coconut harvest and many other events. The regatta winds down mid week, and most boats (including us) will start the migration back up north.

This week we are waiting for a part for our autopilot to be sent , and then we’ll start slowly heading North. We have 3 different routes planned to get back to Nassau, based on the wind direction. There are lots of places we didn’t see on our way down so with lighter winds, and longer days, we still have lots of adventures left before we head back across the Gulf Stream to the US. Our plan is to be back to St. Mary’s Georgia where we will haul the boat out of the water and have it stored while we return home for the summer. From what we hear it’s been a great winter not to be in Ontario, and I must say we havn’t missed the snow, one little bit.

Most people say they like the pictures best so here are some good ones to show what we’ve been doing.


Take Care

Doug and Sharon
Aboard SV About Time




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Sea Bean NecklaceSea Bean Necklace
Sea Bean Necklace

Ella is wearing the necklace Grandma made with a very small sea bean Sharon found.
Ella and GrandmaElla and Grandma
Ella and Grandma

I was the most envied grandma on Stocking Island.
Opening NightOpening Night
Opening Night

Theme of Opening Night was Black and White.
A Different PerspectiveA Different Perspective
A Different Perspective

Doug and I relaxing at the Four Seasons when we went to the Emerald Bay Marina with the Bondy's.
Ocean Front Golf TournamentOcean Front Golf Tournament
Ocean Front Golf Tournament

One could not get a more beautiful course.
Contestants who got Hole in OneContestants who got Hole in One
Contestants who got Hole in One

Doug came in 4th over all and tied for hole in one.
Four SeasonsFour Seasons
Four Seasons

Beautiful but expensive. Over $500 a night for the garden view.
Raft Up for ConcertRaft Up for Concert
Raft Up for Concert

Rafted to hear "White Folks on Boats" cruiser representation at Music Festival.
Flying VisiterFlying Visiter
Flying Visiter

A float plane landed near us taking some girls to have drink at the Chat and Chill.


18th March 2008

Great to hear from you....what a winter! Stop by and see us on your trip back home if you can.

Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.088s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb