Wednesday Sept 21


Advertisement
Aruba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Aruba » Eagle Beach
September 21st 2022
Published: September 22nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

8:30 am and we are off and at’em, with a quick trip to the Huchada Bakery to get a frappochino each to go. But it turned into NOT such a quick trip. Yes, it’s always been busy – with maybe 4 people in front of us, but this was PACKED. Was David telling people about them too?

Anyway, frapps in hand, we drove to Baby Beach, but not on Big Mama’s side, but on the n.e. side, near the padi dive shop. We had been recommended to try it for turtles. There were lovely sea oat trees for shade, and a sandy entrance. We did not see any turtles though, although conditions were lovely and calm and warm and not very deep. Then a huge black cloud finally drew near so 3 of us got out so we could get the bags into the trunk. David FINALLY got out on thunder clap #2.

We had lunch at the restaurant there – quite tasty and marvelous views over to Baby Beach. We had grouper sandwiches. Of course.

Then, Tom and Amy became those rare people who did a TWO SNORKEL DAY. We drove around the corner to Big Mama’s side, originally just to point it out, but we decided to try it out while we were there. AND, brave Tom and Amy were willing to swim up into the channel. Ron and Mary Jo will know how strong that current normally is – so that it’s only possible to go one-way. But the winds being in the “wrong” direction meant we could swim into it and then turn around and go back. One rainbow parrot fish and glass-eyed sweepers.

The clouds had cleared by then of course, and we could see the mountains of Venezuela! Just heard that 6.8 million of their 24 million people have fled the country since 2014.

Because the map had indicated a small reef inside the bay, we decided to swim into the center. Tom and Amy begged off. The minute we saw the turtle grass we thought – might there be a turtle here? And darn if we didn’t see a very hungry one. Hopefully they will get to see one tomorrow.

Had a clean up.

And then walked over to Passions next door to celebrate their 35th. Actually everyone who arrived was given a champagne welcome drink, but they did rate a free dessert. David’s grouper with banana cream was delicious. Amy and I had the shrimp creole dish. The sunset ended up being quite nice. All in all we were lucky, as the restaurant expected rain, and had set the tables up under the palapas originally facing away from the sea and the view. So we rearranged things so we could enjoy the view.

All in all it was a very very special day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.51s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1837s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb