St. John's, Antigua


Advertisement
Published: July 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to AntiguaWelcome to AntiguaWelcome to Antigua

Good to be back.
We arrived in St. John’s about 1:00 this afternoon. Another short stay as we sail this evening at 7:00. We were signed up to for the Kayak and Snorkel Adventure. Annette decided to hang out on the ship. Doug was able to hook up with Andy as a kayak mate. We went to a place called Great Bird Island, had a lot of fun kayaking and saw some great birds too.

Annette and I have been to Antigua in the past while on a Windjammer cruise. We were there shortly after a huge hurricane that was devastating to the island.

Some say that Antigua has so many beaches that you could visit a different one every day for a year. Most have snow-white sand, many with lavish resorts that offer great water sports. The largest of the British Leeward islands, Antigua was the headquarters from which Lord Horatio Nelson made his forays against the French and pirates in the late 18th century.

Antigua has a population of about 90,000, of which half of them live in the capital, St. John’s, which is located at sea level at the inland end of a sheltered northwestern bay. The English Harbor
View from AboveView from AboveView from Above

A view from a higher elevation as we go to our kayak site.
area is the highlight of the island with its carefully restored Nelson’s Dockyard, as well as old forts, historic churches, and tiny villages. Annette and I stayed at The Copper and Lumber Store in this area when we were here last. Nelson’s Dockyard is the world’s only Georgian dockyard still in use.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Andy Ready to KayakAndy Ready to Kayak
Andy Ready to Kayak

Getting ready to hit the water.
The KayaksThe Kayaks
The Kayaks

Board your boats. One thing I noticed about these kayaks that is different from those in Haloong Bay is these have no backrest.
Pastor Ned and his WifePastor Ned and his Wife
Pastor Ned and his Wife

They are anxious to get going.
Great Bird IslandGreat Bird Island
Great Bird Island

Place where we kayaked to.
ViewView
View

View from Great Bird Island of the surrounding area.
Hi ThereHi There
Hi There

After returning from the kayak ride, the park area had cages of reptiles and birds. This lizard was curious to see what was going on.
Peek a BooPeek a Boo
Peek a Boo

I see you. Cute little bird has an eye on us.
You Can Come OutYou Can Come Out
You Can Come Out

This cute guy is another one that will check us out from a safe place.
Two of ThemTwo of Them
Two of Them

At first look they appear to be a mirror image.
Pretty BirdPretty Bird
Pretty Bird

He was chatty.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb