Bridgetown, Barbados


Advertisement
Published: July 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Prime 7 DinnerPrime 7 DinnerPrime 7 Dinner

We enjoyed dinner with our bridge instructors, Michael and Cassandra, on the way to Barbados.
During our sail toward Barbados we enjoyed a nice dinner at Prime 7 with our bridge instructors, Michael and Cassandra. We have appreciated the difference in their teaching styles compared to Roseanne.

After four days at sea, we docked at Bridgetown at 9:00am today and will set sail again this evening at 6:00. The Bridgetown Port (or “Deep Water Harbor” as its also known) is the major port of entry for cruise and cargo ships docking in Barbados. The Harbor port acts as one of the major shipping and transshipment hubs from international locations for the entire Eastern Caribbean. Recently the Bridgetown Port was dredged to allow the safe access and berthing for the new league of “super cruise ships”. It can now host many of the largest cruise ships in the world. They are also in the midst of greatly expanding the size of their harbor.

Barbados retains a very British atmosphere, with afternoon tea as a ritual and cricket is the national sport. The atmosphere is anything but stuffy. Beaches along the island’s south and west coasts are picture-perfect. On the rugged east coast, the Atlantic Ocean attracts world-class surfers. The northeast is dominated by rolling hills
One Happy Guy!One Happy Guy!One Happy Guy!

Enjoying dinner and one unbelievable cruise.
and valleys; and the interior of the island is covered by acres of sugarcane and dotted with small villages. This bustling city is a major duty-free port with a compact shopping area.

Barbadians (Bajans) are a warm, friendly, and hospitable people, who are genuinely proud of their country and culture. Although tourism is important to the island, there is a sophisticated business community and stable government.

We were scheduled for a tour of the island and weren’t disappointed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Welcome to BarbadosWelcome to Barbados
Welcome to Barbados

Annette stands outside the port building. As we walked through, the electricity was off, but we were able to find a nice souvenir bag for Pam.
Yacht HarborYacht Harbor
Yacht Harbor

Some nice yachts and beautiful harborside residences.
New HarborNew Harbor
New Harbor

From our coach, the guide showed us where they are expanding their deep-water harbor.
The CoastlineThe Coastline
The Coastline

View of the beautiful coastline from a higher elevation.
Preserved HomePreserved Home
Preserved Home

One of their preserved and protected older homes.
Stairway to HeavenStairway to Heaven
Stairway to Heaven

Looks like someone had a good idea but it probably got destroyed by storms and high seas.
Seaside ColorSeaside Color
Seaside Color

Some colorful fabric adorns a clothesline along the beach area.
A Small MarketA Small Market
A Small Market

Beyond the color are tables with lots of Caribbean goodies for sale. Annette checks it out.
The BeachThe Beach
The Beach

An inviting view of the beach.
Some RockSome Rock
Some Rock

This imposing rock sits along the beach.
A Bit RockyA Bit Rocky
A Bit Rocky

Although it is a beautiful coastline, the beach is a bit rocky.
The Happy TravelersThe Happy Travelers
The Happy Travelers

Big smiles along the coast of Barbados.
Extended CoastlineExtended Coastline
Extended Coastline

Coastline almost as far as you can see.
Right on the WaterRight on the Water
Right on the Water

Hear and feel the waves crashing.
Welcome to the Cay BarWelcome to the Cay Bar
Welcome to the Cay Bar

During the recent auction for the crew, Bruce won the bid to be bartender at the Observation Lounge for an evening.
Nice Jacket!Nice Jacket!
Nice Jacket!

Even the ship's bartenders don't dress this well. He made some pretty fancy drinks too.
Nice Job!Nice Job!
Nice Job!

This guy has real flair. He did a great job and people had a blast.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb