Day 37 - Goodbye India, hello Nepal


Advertisement
Asia
August 25th 2015
Published: August 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 37 - Goodbye India, Hello Nepal

OMG...why are there so many people buzzing around at 3.50 in the morning? I can't believe it! Today is an early start as we have a long, and complicated journey over the border to Nepal.

Today I gave myself a test... My first time,!in a while.... A full, two armed, bag lift! Yyayy... I did it! But then saw the stairs.... Lol, yes, I managed that too. Recovery in all areas continues to go well!

We start with a short minibus journey to Manduadih train station which is about 15 minutes from the hotel. At the station, we all stick up with rubbish snacks and water to help us on our way. We expect to be on the train for about six hours, but this is India.... We will have to wait and see about that!

We are at halfway point, three hours into the journey. The biscuits that I bought at the station helped the breakfast hunger for the first half an hour, I'm sick of eating them now! I also got a packet of chocolate chip, thinking I would be happy with the change; I'm sick of eating them too!

I have come to the decisions that no matter how much rubbish food you buy for long train and bus journeys when travelling, you simply cannot replace breakfast! Lol

An odd observation: it is amazing how a mixed group of people can cough, sneeze, sniff, choke, grunt and groan so much in one carriage!

We arrived at Gorakhpur station at 11.35. It took us 15 minutes to weave our way through the people and the platforms to the waiting minibus. It was so hot on arrival. You soon forget the heat when you are in air con surroundings, even when it is poor quality, like on the train. The air con in the minibus kicks in.... slowly, as it's only working on one air vent, but I can still feel the benefit!

We are heading to Sunauli. This will be the final town in India. We are expecting it will take about an hour to reach our lunch stop.

We stopped a couple of times in to town to find an ATM for Bernie, then the journey became green and scenic, with high grassed sided roads, which fronted lots of lush looking agricultural land on both sides. We passed through an intermittent village, then back into the green again.

I was surprised to pass an all girls school on the route, Loretta School. Didn't expect to see that!

You can see by the change in traffic that this is not a tourist area. There are far less tuk tuks around. The ones I have seen are carting school kids, or families. There are no rickshaws in sight. The cycles that I have seen are ridden by school kids or local people, some of the bikes have a flat back loader attached for what looks like carrying, or transporting goods. It's a completely different feel here. It's calmer, not calm, calmer ... by Indian standards! But only until you drive through the next village or township!

We stop at Maharajgang at Susham's Havelli for a drive by lunch. We chose a mix of vegetable fried rice, pakora and chips! Nice!

It's now 2.20pm, we continue on through the very fertile rural countryside. There's such a wise variety of dwellings; brick, concrete, straw shacks... Lots to look at as we drive by.

As we get nearer to the border, we have to drive by at least a hundred lorries, all parked up. Anu explained it is for the to prepare the lorries for the border checks. It seemed like an endless line! We go through a clear piece of road, then again, a huge queue of stationary lorries, then the same again! It's strange, there are literally hundreds of stationary lorries lining the road to Nepal, but no one appear as to be in a hurry to go anywhere!

All the way along this road, NH29, thee have been many parts that are being resurfaced, or rebuilt. It has been a complete body, bone shaking ride!

We finally got the border at about 4pm. It was manic busy, but Anu showed his experience, and expertise; it was a seamless event. We walked across from India, got our exit stamp, then into Nepal, completing the immigration papers, and collecting our $25 visa with no problems. I certainly can't imagine ever trying that move without a guide!

We transfer onto the GADV minibus. We are now on our way to the hotel in Butwell, Hotel Club Denova. Anu gives us the good news, it has a pool... Yayy

The first thing I noticed on the journey to the hotel was that there are so many flowers! I don't think I've seen any naturally growing flowers since I was in Vietnam! They are beautiful, in front of houses, and lining the roads, until you arrive at the busier town parts.

Finally we arrive at the hotel.... Bliss! It has a very inviting pool too. We get our bags taken to the room, then Lisa and I head straight to the pool for a swim. Oh, it was so nice to be cool.

Tonight all the girls get feminine. Dresses all around, such a nice change. We ate in the restaurant in the hotel, good food for everyone. We agree to go for a drink in the bar, before an early night. It's been a long, hard day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.1009s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb