The Nation's history in the National Museum


Advertisement
Asia
July 26th 2011
Published: July 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: National Museum 36 secs
Beautiful PavilionBeautiful PavilionBeautiful Pavilion

Despite my best efforts I haven't been able to find out what this building is. Some say that this would have been a reception hall for visitors to the King
Bangkok’s National Museum is a great museum with a very well designed exhibition displaying Thailand’s history through both the good times, and the bad. Believe it or not, before Thailand became the booming metropolis it is today it had a rather rough history, under constant threat of Burmese invasion the city of Ayutthaya, then the capital, still managed to become one of South East Asia’s most powerful and advanced kingdoms of its time. Unfortunately though, as with all great kingdoms, it did see its downfall, at the hands of the Burmese.

The museum takes you on a tour from Thailand’s earliest history with the Ban Chiang culture, which I mentioned in my Suan Pakkad Palace blog, through the different dynasties such as the Sukhothai dynasty through to the current monarchy of King Bhumibol.

The display is rich with gifts that have poured into Thailand from various foreign dignitaries; a beautiful rifle from the president of the United States, sabres, a train set from Queen Elizabeth I and many more. Something I didn’t know, one of the many things in fact, was that the Portuguese were the first Western culture to come to Thailand in hopes of securing trade with the flourishing kingdom and also to spread the word of Christianity. This was during the Ayutthaya period some 4 centuries ago but I wonder if there are still traces of Portuguese in the local citizens of the area.

There are several parts to the museum; the building containing Thailand’s history is only one part. Another building towards the back of the museum grounds has displays of golden Buddhist offerings; small Buddha images and gold coins that I suppose would have been laid at the alter during ceremonies by the pious to ask for favors from the gods. This building also houses several palanquins from different regions of South East Asia that were given as gifts to Thai royalty. On such item was a round covered chair, similar to ones that you are likely to find by chic pool-sides in Cannes or New York, dome-like in shape with a retracting, ribbed cover. One room was full of shadow puppets and dolls that I suppose would have been used to entertain royal children and families during or after meals and parties.

If you’re looking for something nice and informative to do but don’t want to spend all day doing it,
Stone CairnStone CairnStone Cairn

What appears to be a cairn made of flat stones. The shape is similar to that of Thai Chedis
the museum is a great choice. Entry is 200B per person and, as with most of these places, photography is limited to outdoors, unless you’re sneaky about it…



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Inner CourtyardInner Courtyard
Inner Courtyard

A nice quiet courtyard within the museum
Golden RoofGolden Roof
Golden Roof

The beautiful gold roof of the mystery pavilion.
Canon for a boatCanon for a boat
Canon for a boat

This canon would have been put on a Junk to blow the enemies out of the water.


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb