Trip to Lugu Lake


Advertisement
Asia
March 23rd 2011
Published: April 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lugu Lake lies between the Liang mountain Yi autonomous prefecture of Sichuan and Ninglang county of Lijiang. Around the Lake the altitude is 2700 meters, and the area around here is the 48.5 square kilometers. There are almost Mosuo people live around Lugu Lake. In the Mosuo language the “Lu" means gorge, “gu” means Lake. Until to now the Mosuo peple still keep the institution of walking marriage. The lake is 73kilometers far from Ninglang city and 280 kilometers far from Lijiang. It is the biggest Lake in the Yunnan plateau.
Long long ago, there was an orphan live in a remote village. This orphan was so hardworking and smart that he fed the cows and sheep stout. So the villagers always let the boy fed their animals. One day, the boy fell asleep under a tree when he was grazing. He dreamed about a big fish who can speak like a man. The fish felt pity on the boy and told him to cut the flesh from it instead of bringing lunch. So the boy found the fish in a mountain cave and had the tasty flesh of the fish and surprisingly the fish retuned to normal just like the flesh wasn’t cut.
But there always are bad people. A greedy man heard about the fish and gathered some people to catch it. They pulled the fish out the cave and then a seething flood watered the villages around. Lots of people died because of the flood. There was a smart mother who put her two kids in a pig groove, and her kids survived but the mother died because the pig groove couldn’t carry them three’s loads. The flood formed Lugu Lake.
Until now, the people around Lugu Lake still use the pig grooves to respect the smart and great mother, and Lugu Lake is called “Mother Lake”.
The forests of the mountains around the Lugu Lake are buzzed. And in the mountain there are a lot of kinds of mushrooms, and most ot the mushrooms grow from July to the September. During this season the local people would take the baskets to gather the mushrooms in the mountain. And there are many local people hunting because of the rich wild animals resourcea,and more than 30 special herd medicine plants can be found here, too.
In Ninglang area the local people grow difference plants, like rice, wheat, beans,vegetables.
All of the Mosuo people have religion belives, they believe the Gelu section and Lama Section But a few people believe the Christianity.
There is an interesting traditionis called "walking marriage". In this area the boys and girls don't get marriaged, At night the boy comes to girl’s room, but in the morning leaves. When they have babies, the man has no responsibility to raise their children , their children raised by the mother's family.
Interesting stories, right?



Advertisement



4th May 2011

Great trip!
Looks it was great trip to Lugu Lake! the wonderful pictures bring good memories from there before!

Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0147s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb