Vietnam continued


Advertisement
Asia
February 14th 2011
Published: February 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well hello there bloggers!

sorry we have not been in touch...much to report we have been busy!

So from Saigon we flew to Nha Trang - we had heard it was a bit like Blackpool ( and you know how much i like to abuse Danny for his northern routes - which now that i am becoming an honoury northener - i am trying to be less cirtical!!) but anyhow - it was actually very nice!!!!!! NO big dipper in site!

We had an opportunity to chill out on the beach - which we haven't had the chance to do so far so it was perfect!! sandy beaches - long lunches - scoffing huge shrimps - i even managed to talk danny into buying me a bottle of champers!! this travelling is so tough!!!

anhow, who knew that being on malaria tablets (which do warn you to be vigilant of sun protection as they make your skin prone to sunburn) actually have this affect!!! anhow looked a bit like a lobster for a fw days ooops! but do have very visable white bits so happy about that!!!

2 days of chills on the beach then we headed north again to a place called HOi An - it was a 12 hour quite uncomfy sleeper bus - but i knew it was the shopping promise-land so didn't complain too much!!!!Must say we had a giggle at the idea of Josh (6 foot 7 - danny's little bro) attempting to fit in the sleeper "beds" - don't think he woudl be comfy - the bus is built for vietnamese midgets and people even slept on the floor!!!!

we made it to the promise land and headed straight to the shops! this is tailor made heaven!!! danny , being his grumpy shopping self - was not really looking forward to it - but after he was duly fed and watered - he was all over it!! i knew my shopping influence woudl take hold at some point in our marriage - but so early on - even i was surprised!! anyhow - 2 suits, 2 jackets, 5 shirts and a winter jacket later (and this was our first shop!) danny got quite into it!! We did some bargaining ovver the price - the shop worker fell in love wiht danny and his "lovely eyes" that we think we got a good deal! When measuring him - she actually just hugged him at one point!! hilarious to watch!

I didn't do too badly myself - got myself some work attire and 4 dresses! (good for weddings - Tory/Alex hint hint - it is valentines day!!) and danny didn't complain once - may have something to do with the fact we had spent so much our debit cards didn't work so infact my dad's credit card has taken the hit! sorry dad!

HOi An was such a fab place - apart from shopping and fitting visits - the food was fab and beer cheap - i even got into Vietnamese wine (Dalat) - not sure Dad woudl be too impressed but at 80p a glass - it made me happy - we also met a nice Oz couple so had tea with them which was fun!

After 2 days we headed jsut 3 hours north to Hue - not the most exciting place - was only there for 4 hours managed to see the citadel (a city within a city) which was cool. Then we headed on a 12 hour sleeper bus to Hanoi.

Had a bit of a debarcle wiht a taxi man - who tried to rip us off and lock us in our taxi but fortunately Danny managed to sort it - didn;t even bring out teh big guns - that i was a lawyer!!!! we know how well that normally goes! Striaght off the night bus onto another 4 hour bus to Halong City and we are currenlty on a tour in Halong Bay. it is gorgeous - quite chilly as we are only 200 miles south of china which is snowing apparently - danny say it looks like i am in the lakes! the scenery is fab - there are 1969 islands (which are huge stacks) - it is a bit like the floating islands in Avatar -anyway it is impressive!!

Despite being told we did not need walking shoes - which was a lie! we managed a treacherous 1.5 hour trek up a moutnain (ok more like a hill but it was pretty touch going) - the view at teh end was spectacular - but danny achieving this in flip flops was mental/ impressive!!!

Anyhow - we are having a relaxing time now and then head back to Hanoi tomorrow.

Missing everyone but sending love!!

Happy Valentines!

PS despite it being our first one as Mr and Mrs B - Mr B forgot - he shall pay later with wine!! He told me that was ok aslong it was the cheap vietnamese stuff - charming!!
xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



15th February 2011

shirts!
Hope the shirts were made of non iron cotton! Remember you are staying at our house when you return and the housekeeper might not be too happy with extra ironing! Ps can't believe you dared to go onto those tunnels in Vietcong - Claustrophobia! keep blogging! love Hilary/mum

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb