Studying in China - Chengdu University


Advertisement
Asia
November 24th 2009
Published: November 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=LZkX5Iw-sCU][youtube=wIxLsocUGm0][youtube=agdfYvt2lDE][youtube=lEcD2lcBgTQ][youtube=hzU-fuxgVxo][youtube=yyI5O3Bp76w]
This is for Marco Chung-Shu Lam, L.Ac.This is for Marco Chung-Shu Lam, L.Ac.This is for Marco Chung-Shu Lam, L.Ac.

Marco - you wanted to see my certificate of completion from Chengdu University? Here it is!
For those of you who don't know: I went to China to study Chinese medicine. I thought it best to go to the SOURCE.

The hospital I studied in was called 'Chengdu University of TCM' and it had 3500 patients visit every day.

There are many departments:
-Respiratory (common colds, fever, bronchitis, etc)
-Neurology (depression, parkinsons, strokes, schizophrenia, etc)
-Pediatrics (the doctor for Pediatrics was also a specialist in nephrology!)
-Cardiology (I got an ECG scan while I was there out of curiousity. One of the few times in my life someone looked at me and said, "Normal")
-Gynecology (This is my FAVORITE, ie. This is my MAJOR. This will be my SPECIALTY)
-Orthopoedics (I got lots of good recipes from this group)
-Acupuncture (In most of the places, they re-use the needles on the next patient after sterilizing them. The doctor let me needle her patients. We got along just fine! Too bad, she didn't let me take pics.)
-Bells Palsy (this is abnormally common among all ages in Chengdu. No one knows why. I saw them treat even kids. pictures to come. They even do surgery for Bells Palsy in this ward. I can go into that
Int'l Health Care ForumInt'l Health Care ForumInt'l Health Care Forum

The school brought us to the Int'l health care forum. Afterwards, we had lunch. Fancy lunch, and I ate turtle for the first time! Eh... the duck was better!
in more detail if you wish)
-Diabetes (this is not as busy as the other departments, as it is not as common in China)
-Oncology
-There are a few more on this list...


A few things to note:
Chinese medicine docs can also prescribe Western medicine. Not a ton, but the necessary stuff. Antibiotics, diabetes meds, and stuff like that. An acupuncturist can say, "lower the dose of the antibiotics I gave you since you have diarrhea. Take this herbal formula in conjunction and you will get better faster." In America, the acupuncturist would be in so much trouble for giving medical advice, and could have their license taken away!

Also: I always asked the patients before taking pictures of them, or their x-rays or other pictures.






Recommended reading:
Books by Richard Feynman, PhD:
'What do you care what other people think?' and
'Surely, you must be joking Mr Feynman!'



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

But it was so interesting...But it was so interesting...
But it was so interesting...

That Miri and I fell asleep. We couldn't help it! What did they expect when the health forum was in CHINESE? We either need to learn Chinese, or get a translator!!
Are you ready?Are you ready?
Are you ready?

Get ready!
Say AAAAAAWWWWSay AAAAAAWWWW
Say AAAAAAWWWW

Open wide! Can acupuncture make your teeth grow back? Oh, that was rude. Actually, he was here for a stroke.
Get ready!Get ready!
Get ready!

He came in after he had a stroke. Couldn't do anything on his own... and now -
Needle under the tongue!Needle under the tongue!
Needle under the tongue!

Now he can ride his bicycle and talk! He had his stroke a few weeks ago. Painful and yet beneficial.
WOW.WOW.
WOW.

This guy came into DERMATOLOGY. I hope he gets to know this hospital better, because soon, he might need Oncology. This tongue is swollen, blue and lots of cracks. Camera didn't capture enough.
yin deficient, Blood stag.yin deficient, Blood stag.
yin deficient, Blood stag.

Camera doesn't true capture this tongue. You had to be there!
Chengdu UniversityChengdu University
Chengdu University

This is a special acupuncture clinic called, "Latent." What is so special about it is that it is quiet, and they do a private intake and they use sanitary disposable needles.
Acupuncture in LatentAcupuncture in Latent
Acupuncture in Latent

In the other part of the hospital, they re-use needles.
Dermatology Dept.Dermatology Dept.
Dermatology Dept.

This is the doctor writing a prescription, while one of his student assistants take the pulse
and SMOKING!and SMOKING!
and SMOKING!

can you believe that the doc will smoke while seeing patients?
this lady wants a prescription this lady wants a prescription
this lady wants a prescription

to heal her foot! Awesome... :)
Pediatrics and Nephrology departmentPediatrics and Nephrology department
Pediatrics and Nephrology department

Here there are kidney cases, babies and kiddos.
This guy suffers from...This guy suffers from...
This guy suffers from...

Premature ejaculation
Moxa + GingerMoxa + Ginger
Moxa + Ginger

Ginger is excellent for warming the stomach
Getting scrapedGetting scraped
Getting scraped

Our grandparents used this method of scraping to keep colds at bay. (see video)


Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb