Hoags to Ha Long Bay


Advertisement
Asia
March 24th 2008
Published: March 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sorry that I've been away for a few days -- didn't have easy internet access while up North... so here goes...

We (Helen, Will, our friend Viet and I) flew to Hanoi (the capital of Vietnam) on Saturday after saying good-bye to David as he flew back home. Not easy... Anyway, we were greeted in Hanoi by some of the same things -- namely motorbikes and gut-splitting traffic manuevers -- but the scenery was somewhat different -- as we immediately got out of the city by hopping into a van headed for Ha Long Bay. Lots of rice plots between Hanoi and Ha Long Bay -- about 3 and a half hours worth!! Amazing how the landscape looks like a big green quilt -- squared-off patches of family-operated rice fields. Women generally work the squares (according to our guide) usually from sun up to sun down. A family may own several squares -- and the fields get reassigned every 10 years. In between the squares of rice sit small cemetary plots with elaborate head stones, water buffalo and mounded dirt that acts as a pathway for bicylcing or walking.

We arrived in Ha Long Bay at night -- so we had no idea what morning would bring -- and Wow... what a sight. This area -- covers over 500 square miles -- and has over 2000 enormous outcroppings of limestone caused by selective erosion over a millenia (or a descending dragon -- as the name indicates). Either way -- it is a sight to behold. We took a boat to our first docking area (with a large amount of other tourists) to explore the first cave -- Heaven's Palace. Evidentally this cave was found when a fisherman was seeking refuge from a storm -- and observed monkeys in the trees -- who seemed to disappear -- then reappear. He went to see where they were hiding -- and lo and behold he found this cave. Between all of the tourists and the colored lights illuminating the stalagmites and stalactites -- it was hard to grasp what we were seeing. When we left the cave -- Will made a comment about wishing that he could have the cave to himself... then it would truly be a piece of heaven (I have to say I was thinking along the same lines). Our Vietnamese friend quickly said -- "but then all of
Heaven's PalaceHeaven's PalaceHeaven's Palace

note the people
these people would not be able to share in the beauty".... I'm still processing this comment... Why would we let the place be any less beautiful just because so many people were seeing it??

We pressed on to see a second cave after a steep climb. Not many other people went on to this section. Another amazing site with a little more calm. This one we could really drink in. I have read that caves throughout Ha Long Bay have been discovered as late as the 1990's... that's how expansive this place is. After exploring the 2 caves -- we went back onto the boat. We visited a floating market and saw the fishmen's village literally on the bay... people making their living... in a hard way in a beautiful place. We continued on just to ride amongst the rock formations -- out in the bay it feels like a place where fairy tales happen. In fact, Helen and I decided that if we were mermaids - this is where we would live.

Just as an FYI -- Ha Long Bay is in the running for the seven natural wonders of the world... you can check it out (and vote if you choose) on www.new7wonders.com. There is some kid and school info on the site as well.

Anyway -- we stumbled around Hanoi some the next day -- and toured the Presidential Palace Area. Hanoi is known for its many lakes -- so we got in some good people watching while walking around the lakes -- and of course stopped off for some ice cream for Helen and Will and a Milky Vietnamese coffee for me! Poor Viet was so patient with me and the kids. I think he'll be recuperating for at least a week... and I'm sure we have only been counterproductive in the pursuit of grandchildren for his parents! so sorry!

We came back to Ho Chi Minh City (which oddly enough felt like home) -- and united with the rest of the Kids Building Hope group. You will start to see some blogging from them on this site as well. It'll be fun to get another perspective I'm sure. Anyway -- hope you all had a Happy Easter!!

Happy Trails!
T


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Enormous cavernEnormous cavern
Enormous cavern

check out little Will for perspective
Worn away stalagmiteWorn away stalagmite
Worn away stalagmite

The kids noticed this along the pathway -- pedestrian traffic has its consequences
fishermen's villagefishermen's village
fishermen's village

The houses are floating in the middle of the bay
floating marketfloating market
floating market

the pens inside the dock hold live fish
Squid!Squid!
Squid!

Yes -- I finally ate one (Okay -- not really one -- but a bite of one!) Guess you could say that it was fresh.


24th March 2008

You're So Brave
Dear Tracy - You are amazing... I remember when we went to Moscow how off-kilter I felt for the first few days... I can't imagine doing that without my husband and with two small children... What a completely mind-blowing experience this all must be. Beki
25th March 2008

Wow, Tracy, you are so good to give us all this information - I am sure you must be exhausted at the end of the day. I am glad that the rest of the family made it there safely. I LOVE seeing pictures of you. I can''t believe all the things the kids are eating and doing -you are all amazing and wonderful. I miss you and LOVE each of you and wish you a great time at the school. XOXOXO from Cleveland!!!

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb