hi from HCM


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
January 15th 2006
Published: January 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ho Chi Minh City is the heart and soul of Vietnam. It's a bustling, dynamic and industrious centre, the largest city in the country, the economic capital and the cultural trendsetter. .

This is a city that churns, ferments, bubbles and fumes. The streets, where much of the city's life takes place, is a jumble of street markets, shops, pavement cafes, stands-on-wheels and vendors selling wares spread out on sidewalks. Its also retained its french influence as much of the architecture and cafes etc are familiar! They even have Notre Damn cathedral in the centre!

We arrived after a 7 hour bus journey with a dodgy stomach! The only way to get around this city is by scooter - there is no other way like it or not. They seem to have some unwritten rules of driving here and i found out very quickly!

Rules
1. Everyone for themselves so tough if your a pedestrian in the way
2. Red lights simply mean look around a bit when you go through them
3.pedestrian crossings are but intermittent white paint on the ground
4. if your going to cross the road - dont a.stop b.wait or c.listen instead
a.walk whatever b.cover your ears c. hope for the best, i personally like to add d. close your eyes but thats optional.

Unfortunately the hotel we were staying at was double booked so we ended up being redirected to LUCKY HOTEL. For those of you that of heard of the renowned tudor rose hotel in Blackpool your on the right lines. LUCKY was the last thought that slipped into my head as i climbed the 9 flights of stairs with my baggage hitting my head on the ceiling as it became increasingly lower- i thought at one point it was all the same room- we were just climbing higher in it!
Well me and Boll managed to squeeze into the room although it looked like someone had just slept in his bed.

The next day i hired a driver to take me round the markets and the sights- as it happened it was by one of those sit in push bikes but hey it was great fun!

This evening i spent playing more pool in a local bar and then retired.



Advertisement



15th January 2006

Litigation
Dear Sir. We read with concern your implied remarks and we have herewith, forthwith and herafter to advise you of our impending inaction against yourself and other scurilous persons, remarks and appendages that obtain, pertain or remain near to or on or about your said personage. Our lawyers await, and I must warn you that your basket of cockroaches is as nothing to our assortment of litigious fee chargers. All costs will be reversed and we will be vigilent lest you flee the scene a second time. You will be met at the airport.
15th January 2006

Please tell me it had wicker, oh please and green fake satin sheets, just feel the static!!!! Pool appearing in the blog again, now seriously, who won?
17th January 2006

I did exactly the same on scooter, however we were racing 2 birds up and down Bageler street at 3am ohh ye. bye the way Tim has come out and yes hes gay. His lover is Richard Thomas.
20th January 2006

Loved the description of traffic in the place - it reminds me of somewhere... Oh yes! That would be London. Sounds like you're having a fab time. Making me very jealous! Take care. Elinor X

Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb