Saigon and Mui Ne


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
July 2nd 2008
Published: July 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Cu Chi TunnelsCu Chi TunnelsCu Chi Tunnels

On his way in!
Hello Guys

Well we had a lovely couple of days in Saigon (or Ho Chi Minh City - its official name but nobody actually seems to pay any attention to it and still refer to it as Saigon) Its a very very busy bustling city with crazy motor cycle drivers the horns blaring are driving me crazy!

So we set off for Cu Chi tunnels on sunday these were the underground network of tunnels used by the Viet Cong in the Vietnam war in the 60's. The whole network is 250 kms long but we wre glad when we were told the most we would have to go in them would be 90 metres! They are situated about 60kms north of Saigon so off we went on our tour bus. The tunnels them self were pretty cool to go in and we did the 90metres but it was so so hot down there and you just want to get out the whole time! The day was pretty drwan out though and there were a crazy amount of people both in our group and visiting the Tunnels, it meant you couldnt see much and were always being forced along a bit of a circus really, not sure if its always like that or maybe just very busy this time of year.

In the afternoon we decided to keep up with the whole Vietnam war thing and go to the War Remnants Museum (formerly called War Crimes of America Museum!!) It was really good (if very biased against America!) Seen a whole lots of horrific pictures especially the effects of Agent Orange and Nepalm that America used against the Vietnemese in the war. My goodness I feel so morbid the last week or so has been so depressing with all the atrocities that have happened in these countries. So with that in mind we decided we needed to get to a beach so Mui Ne here we come......

So we arrived in Mui Ne got checked into our hotel (we are the only guests it was very weird guess its the low season...!) The sun was out so we lay by the pool for a bit but it promtly went away and that pretty much was all we saw of it until we left! The weather this now in the South China Sea is not so great and the forecast is not much better till we leave so dont be expecting tans......!! Had a very relaxing 2 days doing not much but eating and drinking and walking the 5kms into town from the hotel (Martyn picked it, you wouild think he liked walking!!) The only excitment we had was the sink in our room fell off the wall (only in Vietnam!) very nearly missed breaking my foot but I have cuts on my toes very scary. We got moved to a beach view room though so all worth it!

We are off to Nha Trang in 20mins, on another cool bus that has beds on it never seen anything like it but at least you can stretch your legs out!

Anyway Lots of Love xxxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Cu Chi TunnelsCu Chi Tunnels
Cu Chi Tunnels

This is the entrance the Viet Cong used to enter the tunnels but the Govt had to make a big proper entrance for all us bigger visitors to get in by!
Cu Chi TunnelsCu Chi Tunnels
Cu Chi Tunnels

A Vietnemese guy going in the tunnel
Cu Chi TunnelsCu Chi Tunnels
Cu Chi Tunnels

Old entrance with a much much smaller tunnel than the one went in
Cu Chi TunnelsCu Chi Tunnels
Cu Chi Tunnels

Just one of the hundreds of horrible traps the VC used on American soldiers
War Remnants MuseumWar Remnants Museum
War Remnants Museum

"The Girl in the Picture" A very famous picture of a 9 year old girl running from Nepalm bombs in the war. I've got the book about her life story, very sad.
War Remnants MuseumWar Remnants Museum
War Remnants Museum

A reconstruction of a 'Tiger Cage' used to house VC prisoners (the guy is not real just a model!)
War Remnants MuseumWar Remnants Museum
War Remnants Museum

Big American Aeroplane
Mui NeMui Ne
Mui Ne

Our one hour of sun by the pool!
Mui NeMui Ne
Mui Ne

Martyn playing in the pool
Mui NeMui Ne
Mui Ne

Our view
Mui NeMui Ne
Mui Ne

Mui Ne beach with the round fishing boats they use in Vietnam
Mui NeMui Ne
Mui Ne

Lots of rain..............


3rd July 2008

Sounds like your having fun
Hey Lisa, Just thought I'd drop a wee message to say hello. Sounds like you guys are still enjoying every minute of your time, apart from the rain. I really fancy visiting Cambodia, so I'll need to get all your travel tips for Asia when you get back. Take care xx

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0149s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb