GET OFF THE PHONE ey!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
December 8th 2011
Published: December 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After another long bus journey - 7 hours - we arrived in Vietnam. The border crossing was easy peasy as we already had our Vietnamese Visa sorted. We feel like millionaires here as the currency is 30,000 dong to the pound!

We made friends with the guys and girls in our dorm room and after settling in we went out for pancakes and coffee with a Dutch and a German girl. We had a very relaxed evening watching the crazy traffic of Saigon! We have never seen so many mopeds, 100s queue up in every direction so when the lights turn green it is madness. Top tip is to just keep walking, don't stop and panic as they will avoid you!

After an early night we spent the day with Soraya (the dutch girl), we also met a lovely Vietnamese girl who took us to a proper market 30mins outside of the city centre. We felt like animals in a zoo as all the locals gawped at our white skin and strange faces! They were all appartenly shouting "Beautiful girls" as we strolled past. We settled down to a traditional Vietnamese banquet (cow tongue and duck egg soup) and after a good few minutes trying to master chopsticks we gave in to the westen way of eating - with forks!!

That night we headed to a Karaoke bar with the dorm. Sang the classics - Oasis, Wham, Spice Girls - whilst consuming a cheeky bottle of Vodka. We payed up and then went to a local bar near our hostel. Here we were joined by some Kiwis (requesting that we should get off the phone and talk to them!) and an American guy and chatted the night away.

The next day we ventured to the Chi Chi tunnels, which we learnt were hand dug by the Vietnamese during the cold war! They were incredible and Jenny even managed to squeeze herself into a notoriously narrow one! We ventured back and had a leisurely afternoon waiting for our night bus. 8pm we hopped on the bus only to see our new Kiwi friends! We slept very little!

Bye bye Ho Chi Minh, hello Mui Ne beach!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0902s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb