Day 7, Vietnam, Hoi An! Bike tour heaven and earth!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
January 9th 2012
Published: January 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today was the most fun we have had in Vietnam yet. We started today with a big all you can eat buffe't for breakfast eating dumplings, egg, fruit and pho' (which goes well considerring i got an i Pho top.( Pho' means noodles)). After breakfast, dad and I watched some television while mum and Kyle went to get mum a $4 peticure and manicure. About an hour later we went for a walk and i got the best souvenier ever. A really good pair of okley sunglasses! And the best part was......... we got them for $2!! It was amazing. I was really happy. We had lunch and head of to the place where we would start the tour. When we got there we had to walk to the boat and take a fourty-five minute trip to an island where we started riding. It was amazing. We got to see the shrimp farm first, but because it's winter up here, there is no shrimp but they're cleaning it out for next summer. The scenery was beautiful while we also got to watch people do their daily stuff. Next stop was a Vietnamese house. Traditionaly, the Vietnamese have three doors. The left for the men, the right for the wemen,and the middle for the ancestors.b Apparently, a long time ago you were only allowed to come through the midddle door if you want to ask your ancestors a very importent question, get married, or ask your ancestors if the name you have given your baby is lucky. Also we got to see ladies making matts. It was really cool. Any way we kept on riding to our next stop, a giant basket weaving place. They make boats by weaving massive bamboo baskets, filling the holes with cow dung, and then, covering the whole thing with resin. Totaly natural ingredients. 😊. The Vienamese people made them because of the boat tax the french put on them. So when they were not using them for fishing, they would fill it up with stuff to make the french think they were massive baskets. Neat huh! After we learnt how to make them we got to ride in them!!! You had to move your paddle in a c shape infront of the boat. It was the best bit. Then we went to see an ice making machine. It seperated the salt water, from the fresh water, and cooled the fresh water and the salt water down until the fresh water was frozen and the salt water was really cold. I got to feel the cold water. BRRRRRRR. Soon we came to the mother of pearl inlaying place. It was really interesting. They designed it, traced it, hollofied it, glued it with black glue, and then engraved it. The finishing product was amazing. Our last stop was the boat making place. They made boats out of big planks of wood, as a matter of fact it was 80%!w(MISSING)ood! A lot of wood huh! Then we got to ride one back home. They were loud but cool. When we got back we had a delicious icecream, had dinner, and had a well deserved sleep. Looking forward to writing to you tomorrow. Zac.




P.S. Thanks for the message Isaac!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb