Hoi An Uncovered - The Chill Out Sessions


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
August 15th 2008
Published: August 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After all the trekking, temples and tooting of horns, we needed a holiday within our holiday. A French colonial seaside town, full of tradition awaited us. The lack of involvement in the war means it still has a lot of history, tradition and French, Chinese and Japanese architecture; Plus a swimming pool with a bar! We spent lazy mornings by the pool convincing ourselves we were getting a slight base tan, until we went for a meal and were complimented by the restaurant owner on how beautiful and white our skin was! We went for a stroll in the town where we inherited our personal stalker, we were used to being approached fairly regularly by peopleselling various items but this guy was super insistent everywhere we turned he seemed to be there, ensuring us that his mums grocery shop was the best in the town and perhaps we should put off eating just now because his mum's shop was going to shut in half an hour! The normally polite Mike went slightly Mancunian on him and he left us alone.

The following morning we hired some bikes and giving our stalker the slip we headed off to explore the town. The rule is on Vietnamese roads is that if you are doing somethinfg dangerous you beep your horn loudly, so Katrina set the pace riding at a steady 4 miles an hour stopping at every junction as she wasnt going to risk crossing. We went to the market which was absolutely buzzing with traders selling everything and all wanting your attention, after getting duly ripped off on a few things (by locals standards) but they were happy and so were we peddaling off for a meal and a few drinks by the riverside watching some old fella plying his trade by sailing up and down getting paid to model for pictures as an old vietnam man complete with beard and hat. Feeling fully refreshed we headed off to Hanoi the capital of Vietnam and more noisy motorbikes!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb