HCMC - Good Morning Vietnam!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
August 15th 2008
Published: August 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The next propellor plane we hopped on took us to Ho Chi Minh City, this place can be summed up in one word... Motorbikes! They are everywhere, the population of the city is 7 million and there are 3.5 million motorbikes. Everywhere you turn you can see motorbikes transporting huge plants 3 metre high panes of glass & families of up to 5 people dodging the traffic and honkin with the best of them! They can be a frustrating part of HCMC but also fascinating. We sat in a cafe and watched them go by for most of the evening and were transfixed by it whilst enjoyin a bowl of Pho and Saigon beer. A few Saigons later we went shopping and Mike insisted on buying some genuine Vietnam MC Hammer trousers feeling it was time this look made a comeback, watching Mike bartering with the ladies in the shop whilst slightly tipsy was unforgettable. Whilst most of the shop were very amused, Mike left the shop very pleased with his deal, the following morning he was less keen pushing back the fashion boundaries for our evening meal!

On our second day we visited the Cu Chi Tunnels which is where the Viet Cong lived in a labryinth of tunnels in the Vietnam war. Our guide Juster, as well as being very entertaining was also very good at explaining the lives and motivations of North and South Vietnamese during a very complex war. Mike attempted to get into one of the foxholes, his skinny waist got through no probs but could'nt totally submerge himself as his shoulders were too big. We both made it into the slightly larger tunnels, it was hot, dark and difficult to breathe. After 4-5 minutes we were happy to see daylight again Juster informed us that in total the Vietcong lived down there on and off for 20 years!

Mike thought he would tick off one of the things to do before your 30 and fire a gun. (don't worry mums it was on a firing range and all controlled!) We spent an evening eating all sorts of random food at a street stall next to the night market then went to an ice cream parlour with five floors sat at the top one andwatched all the traffic from above looking like a fireworks show. Doesnt take much to keep this duo happy! Next stop the sleepy seaside village of Hoi An!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb