Siem Reap, Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
August 10th 2008
Published: August 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After an exhilarating ride in a tuk tuk to the airport (it was a bit wobbly with all our bags), we flew to Bangkok and went for a second suit fitting and further explorations of Bangkok! Starting to feel like locals using the few thai words we know and navigating our way around!

We jumped on a prepellor plane to Siem Reap, Cambodia. We arrived here at night and it felt very different to Thailand. The roads were crazy with motos pulling people in carts everywhere and everyone shouting out in desperation for your business. Everyone just seems a lot sader here and you kind of feel permenantly guilty for being comparably well off. We knew children would be approaching us selling things but the reality of it was quite upsetting.

The next morning we visited Ta Phrom Temple (the one featured in Tomb raider). Its been allowed to be swallowed up by the jungle which creates a phenomenal majestical atmosphere!

In evening we headed off to another temple which we climbed to the top of to watch the sunset. We met a lovely couple from Malasia who gave us some good photo tips and they own a photo shop.

The following day we hired a taxi man called Mr Paul. He was great; he was a Manchester United fan and had union jack flags in his car (we are not quite sure why). He took us to the main temples of Ankor Wat and Ankor Tom, they were really impressive but hard going in the hot sun! We then decided to go and visit a floating village which was a bizzare experience!!! The man kind of threw us on the boat and off we went to visit the village's school, church, tv shop and everything else you coudl imagine; all of this was floating in the water. We hopped off at a cafe and there were children with snakes and mini alligators, it was all very sereal and we were quite glad to rest our head back on Mr Paul's union jack cushions!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb