Day 9 Buddism


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Ninh Binh
July 30th 2012
Published: August 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 9 Buddism
Another day, another pagoda, but today we are going to see the largest pagoda of all! We took a short bus ride to Non Nuoc Bai Dinh Pagoda...... It rose up into a hill over three stages. Very impressive! We were taught by Tingh what we should say and how many bows etc. he discussed all about Buddhism, and the ways of the religion. This pagoda is a popular place in Ninh Binh for Buddhism. In particular, the temple has a bronze statue of Buddha in Vietnam's largest piece - 6.5 m high, weighs 30 tons.

After the long walk in the heat of the day, even though we were well shaded, we were all hot, sweaty, and starving! We returned on the bus to our hotel for our final lunch there. We all devoured all the food in sight! I think we are becoming more accustomed to rice and morning glory with garlic, amongst the other foods on hand. We rounded it off with an ice cream from Lotterei...lovely! Then back to the bus for a journey to the house on stilts!! Which otherwise could be described as a 'shack on legs'.

After the initial shock of meeting Kevin, the new guide, came the next shock of 'boat', one can only loosely describe the vessel as a boat, but luckily, it did seve its' purpose and get us there safely, then the shack, Oh well, we'll see how it goes. The house is situated on an island in Kenh Go. I was gutted that I couldn't manage to get my mosquito net up before Kevin came in and put up one of the supplied ones....with holes in! There are 6, 10 x 10 rooms of the main room. There are three to a room, and one set of two. No room to swing any cats though! Nadia, Britty and I are in one room. I can't imagine anyone will be sleeping well tonight. It is already stifling!

We all enjoyed the hot and cold tubs. It was like a hot jacuzzi, sort of, if you use your imagination, then a small cooler tub. The colour of the water did have a 'rust-ic' element to its' colour! Then up to the house on stilts before dinner. Everyone is sat around on mattresses on the floor, I think they are all settling in now! We had a lazy night of reading, chatting, laughing and iPods.

Everyone up and around ok this morning. No one seems any worse for the experience, or suffering from sleep deprivation! A strange but good experience for everyone I think. We are just about to have breakfast before we set off on our travels on the small boat again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



4th August 2012

hi
well it all looks amazing and u seem to be having a geat time njoyed reading all about what u been up to and also looking at the pictures. love u lots

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb