Vietnam- Hanoi, Ha Long Bay,Dong Ha, Hoi an & Na Trang


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
June 19th 2007
Published: June 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ok guys so the last week has been hectic jumping on and off buses but Vietnam is so big in the time scale we have its been the only way to do it!!

We love Vietnam although hit Hanoi after a 24 hour bus journey across the border from Loas with our heads hung out the window for air and were greeted by the craziest city ever. Everyone drives mo - peds , there is no traffic signals, no left or right, no stop or go and no limit to what or how many you can fit on a bike. I think within the first 30 mins of being there I saw a cow!!!... on the back of one bike, a refridgerator on the back of another and a family of 10 on another.
We spent a couple days in Hanoi, chilled out at a lake then took a 3 day trip to Ha Long Bay.

Three hours later we hit Ha Long Bay and get on our boat which will be our home for the night. It was pretty awesome....especially the sun deck...oh and the vietnamese red wine of course under the stars.
We raced through a couple caves then cruised around the bay which was beautiful. We stopped just before sun set to kyak.... which we found boring after a while so swam instead ...apparently in a no swimming area!!! .. and got hassled by kids and women on boats selling snacks and drinks in the middle of the bay - where do they think we are stashing our money whilst in the water. The night on teh boat was really cool. The food was amazing. The next day we got dropped onto Cat Ba Island to do some trekking which ended uyp being a mission as it was so so hot and rocky in flip flops. The afternoon we found a beach and chilled ....well untill 4 pm when all the vietnamese tourists came out and the ocean was just swarmed with them. We spent one night on the island and then headed back by boat and bus the next day!!!

'Da Nong' After travelling for 12 hours on our way from Hanoi to Na Trang the bus stops for breakfast and we catch a half day tour which was awesome - now I know at least a little about Vietnam. We visited some
Jo in Hanoi.Jo in Hanoi.Jo in Hanoi.

Got cornered by a lady selling fruit - we were both tired and so I took a picture and that was it ..money money money ...oooh we wont do that again. This one was worth it though.
memorials and Graveyards and the north and south devide, learnt about the vietnam war and then went to walk around the underground caves which were very caustrophobic!!! WE then hopped back on the bus for three hours to Ha Noi...

Ok so Ha Noi... well great for getting clothes made but not good for the bank account!!!! We hired bikes and cruised around - went to the beach. Got fitted and made a suit and stayed in the nicest guesthouse I think we have had for all of our travels!!! WE spent three days then caught the overnight bus down to Na Trang.

Me Jo, RJ and Dan rented mo peds and went cruising around the country side all day... oops bad tan lines but it was so much fun...we found little villages, mountain cafes and random roads around the hills that just seemed to end!!! Me and Jo visited the mud baths and hot springs and then went on a half day snorkel tour and made friends with 4 14 year vietnamese girls. They were excellant. Jumping off the roof of the boat and doinga bit of skin diving we ended the day with sunstroke!!!!

Vietnam is a crazy place but beautiful...there is alot of hassle but at the same time theres alot of really really amazingly nice people although the kids can speak alittle too much english for our liking as they then are very cheeky - but its all good fun!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Around Ha Long Bay....Around Ha Long Bay....
Around Ha Long Bay....

View from the boat top.
Dong Ha Dong Ha
Dong Ha

A break from our 16 hour bus trip.
Grave stones...Grave stones...
Grave stones...

Some gravestones had no names on them as they never found out who the person was as the northern vietnemese soldiers just carried a paper around with their identity whereas the south wore dog tags!!
Me and Jo on the bridge.Me and Jo on the bridge.
Me and Jo on the bridge.

I broke my shades and it was 40 degrees and so bright.
Monument by the bridge deviding the north and south.Monument by the bridge deviding the north and south.
Monument by the bridge deviding the north and south.

Monument of a Mother and child waiting for the husband to come home...


Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 22; qc: 89; dbt: 0.1199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb