Loas - Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng and Vientiane


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
June 12th 2007
Published: June 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So after a crazy trip around Chian Khong in Fathers Pauls 4X4 looking for sunglasses for Jo we hit the road to Loas ....well road ..boat..tuc tuc..border control...more tuc tucs and then a 7 hour slow boat ride to a small town just off the river. When we arrived we had to restle the loas villagers which had jumped on the boat for our bags which they were carrtying off and wanting to charge us before they would give them back. We stayed one night in this crazy village called Pak Beng before heading another 7 hours on the slow boat to Luang Prabang.

The slow boat journey was ok - pretty uncomfortable but the mountains either side and fisherman and caves made up for it...the scenery was beautiful. Luang Prabang is an awesome little town....Awesome architecture which gave the place such character... We spent a couple of days here and hired a nice little pink town bike with a basket I need to add... and cycled around the town visiting a temple on the hill and a cool little market.

Two days here was enough so we headed on a bus to Vang Vienne where we checked into some awesome little huts and hit the river on a tube and went to see some awesome caves. There we swam in the lagoon with three young munks who we followed into the caves to swim in the cave pools which were beautiful. The monks were trying to get us to climb up and jump into the pool but that was just insane... After chilling out around the town and getting stuck in the craziest thunderstorms I think Ive ever been in.....getting chucked out of internet cafes as lightening was strucking all around us and getting soaked through within a secound - we realised we had hit this part of the world during rainy season!!!!!

After a pretty awesome two days we moved on again - we really have sped up our pace now...but instead of taking the usual bus route to Vientienne we chose to Kyak it where we had a 2 hour tuc tuc ride and a 3 hour kyak down the river to the Capital.... That was a pretty cool way of travelling around - even when we capsized in some rapids which made our instructor panic but anyone that knows me and JO will
The Mekong River...The Mekong River...The Mekong River...

The river from the slow boat..
laugh as we were loving it - a quick cool day in the water - never mind the rocks we were heading into!!! We arrived at Vientienne and had a look around and with not much to do here we booked our 24 hour bus journey (...I shall add with no toilet on the bus!!!) to Hanoi, Vietnam which we shall catch tonight.... already we are dreading the decision to take this mode of transport but watch this space to find out how we got on!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

On the slow boat.... 7 hours!!!!On the slow boat.... 7 hours!!!!
On the slow boat.... 7 hours!!!!

Slow boat from the Thai border to Pak beng then onto Luang Prabang.... Me,Jo,Emily,Gaz,Mark and James.
The slow boat....The slow boat....
The slow boat....

Getting restless after 5 hours of wooden church pews!!!
Luang Prabang..Luang Prabang..
Luang Prabang..

The only way to travel - Pink bikes with cute baskets - believe me when I say theres no racing around on these things!!!
Overlooking Luang Prubang!Overlooking Luang Prubang!
Overlooking Luang Prubang!

View from the temple on the hill..
View from the bus...View from the bus...
View from the bus...

Bus journey from Luang Prabang to Viang Vien around the mountains. Awesome scenery.
Viang VienViang Vien
Viang Vien

The river...


Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 94; dbt: 0.1499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb